What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 latest update release news

Jax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New OS

Downloaded new OS today without a hitch. Seems to work fine.
What exactly is air print?
On the road now, but would like to be able to use printer at home on net work.

Is the air print blue tooth or just wifi net work, or is there some other equipment needed?

jutley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you wan't a stable jailbreak i recomend you guys stay on v3.2.2 as limera1 which jailbreaks this particular firmware which is untethered and means it is bootable when shut down. But redsnow for v4.2.1 firmware will jailbreak v4.2.1 but is tethered which means you must reboot it with redsnow each time your ipad restarts.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, the reboot portion of redsn0w for 4.2.1 sucks, but still, it works :)

albertaline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why can't we lock the screen now with this verson of OS? The switch now shuts off the volume, useless! How to lock the screen now? Any answer?

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeaaaah, go to the screen rotation thread like pointed out by SweetPoison.
Don't forget the popcorn :)

And maybe bring an own opinion on the topic, too, and may some philosophical stuff, too....

The more, the better....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why can't we lock the screen now with this verson of OS? The switch now shuts off the volume, useless! How to lock the screen now? Any answer?

If you double click the 'home' button, it brings up the 'multi-tasking' bar at the bottom of the screen. Here you can see the tasks that are running. If you hold down (any) one of the icons they start to 'jiggle' and each has a cross in the top left hand corner. Press an icon to force that task to close.

If you 'right swipe' the multi-task bar you will find that a 'special' bar appears that allows you to control the 'ipod' app. But, at the far left hand side is an icon that allows you to lock the screen rotation. I guess that Apple thought we wanted to mute the volume more often than lock the screen rotation!

Tim
Scotland

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really love the JB style of locking my screen.
I now have my screen orientation button back where it belongs (in my opinion). I don't care that my iPad is muted when the screen is locked, but this may be sorted out later.
And accessing all the other stuff (wifi, BT, etc.) is faster, too. A swipe at the upper bar on the iPad, touch the option you want and there you go.
Also, closing any opened folder once you touched the app you want to start is a big plus in my opinion :)

Most reactions

Latest posts