What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 10.3 update, strange problem

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Updated my iPad2 Air to iOS 10.3 yesterday over wifi with no problems whatsoever, but my iPhone 5C steadfastly refuses saying "iOS 10.2.1, your software is up to date".
I've reset the iPhone more than once, but it still won't update.
I know this is an iPad forum, but has anyone got any idea why?
Apple do say the 5C is compatible.

Steve

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Updated my iPad2 Air to iOS 10.3 yesterday over wifi with no problems whatsoever, but my iPhone 5C steadfastly refuses saying "iOS 10.2.1, your software is up to date".

Hi Steve, by 'Reset' do you mean holding down both the ON-OFF & the HOME buttons? If not then give that a try, i.e. both buttons until the Apple logo appears - takes about 10 secs or so. If you have iTunes on a computer, have you cabled the phone to give that route a try. Finally, there is a 'sister' iPhone forum HERE - I'm not a member, but there may be a more dedicated sub-forum related to your iPhone? Dave :)

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sometimes there is a slight delay in the updates being available over the air to all devices. I would wait a day or two or, alternatively you could update via iTunes.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Steve
I'm an Admin at the site (iPhone Forum) Dave mentions.
You will get plenty of help in there.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies chaps. Yes, I did the reset with the on/off and home buttons. Maybe I'm being a bit premature and the updates not available yet in the uk, but I've never had a problem doing the iPad and iPhone at the same time before.
Maybe I'll try again in a couple of days, and if no good I'll go down the iTunes route.
Thanks also Poisonivy, I'll have a look at the site.

Steve

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies chaps. Yes, I did the reset with the on/off and home buttons. Maybe I'm being a bit premature and the updates not available yet in the uk, but I've never had a problem doing the iPad and iPhone at the same time before.
Maybe I'll try again in a couple of days, and if no good I'll go down the iTunes route.
Thanks also Poisonivy, I'll have a look at the site.

Steve
Hi.
I'm in the Uk, I have done all the updates with no issues.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes, if too many people are trying to update at the same time, it could prevent your iPhone from connecting to the Apple update servers. Waiting a while generally clears this up as would doing the update at night when most people are asleep.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My update was a nightmare, with two hourlong calls to Apple and a restore with all the headache that entails. iCloud was almost totally unresponsive, and is still sluggish today, and more apps than you might expect rely on iCloud just to fix their settings.

If you haven't updated yet, wait a week.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just saw this in news app from appleinsider

Over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c pulled by Apple for reasons unknown
After a few hours of availability, Apple pulled the over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for the iPhone 5 and 5c, though the legacy devices can still be updated through iTunes on a Mac or PC.
Why the move was made is not yet clear. There is seemingly no swell of users complaining about failings of the update on social media, nor any indication of a large amount of failed updates on the older phone models with the 32-bit A6 processor.
The install process through iTunes remains the same as it has always been — following the connection of an iPhone to iTunes through a Lightning cable, users are given the option to update the device to the new operating system. AppleInsider has confirmed that the iTunes update installs properly on an iPhone 5c.
The iOS 10.3 update, released Monday, includes Find My AirPods, Apple File System implementation, and other improvements for developers and the App Store. Regardless of the source of the update, AppleInsider recommends performing a full, encrypted backup prior to updating to iOS 10.3.
Apple's latest beta release of iOS skips version 10.3.1, and goes straight to version 10.3.2. It also has no iPhone 5 or 5c binaries for download.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It also didn't work on my iPad Pro 9.7. Well, it started to install, then stalled.

It installed on the second try, through iTunes instead of OTA, but was so broken that Support had me enter recovery mode and restore...which also failed. So, a couple more "regular" restores, and it sort of resembled an iPad, but most of my apps and photos were missing the first time; all but two apps showed up overnight. Nothing involving iCloud, which is a lot more stuff than you think, was accessible. I could not even sign out of iCloud from the iPad--I had to kill it off from the Apple ID web site, on my iMac. For some reason, the 600+ missing photos started reappearing later this morning.

iCloud started working again after resetting wifi, i.e., losing all my passwords, but one app would not reinstall from iTunes even though it appeared in the app list. Not a big deal to re download the app, but several years of data are MIA. In the past two days, I've spent about 6 hours on the phone with Apple, including hold time, got cut off once, had one message not returned, and got patronized by five semi-knowledgeable support agents. Add another few hours trying to fix lost settings, resulting in an RSI, and my day of jumping through flaming hoops has not gone well.

My irreplaceable data is still missing; it has to be somewhere in Time Machine, but so far no one knows where it is or how to retrieve it. Some techie who might know is supposed to tell a support agent who is supposed to call me tomorrow. I have little faith at this point that I'll ever get the data back. I foolishly trusted iTunes to back it up.

Friends, if you've not yet done the 10.3 update, this is one to consider passing up.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I wasn't going mad after all. Not sure yet whether I might wait or go down the iTunes route.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your experience certainly isn't typical. Almost all installs go without any problems at all. If the backup you made before upgrading is an encrypted backup that you archived, it and everything in it should still be intact.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did make an encrypted backup minutes before updating. However, it appears to have been overwritten in the many attempts to get my missing app installed--you cannot install an app from its .ipa without doing a complete sync. iTunes simply won't let it happen, and there are no warnings about "archiving," whatever that means. It's a moronic system, so typical of the whole iTunes fiasco.

This is the first time an Apple update has exploded on me. I did manage to find my missing data on my old iPad, so all I'm out now is two days of my time, and a head start on an ulcer. Grumble, mumble...

Most reactions

Latest posts