What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 10.1.1 bricked my USAA Mobile app

dane1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a new iPad PRO. Updated everything from my old iPad3. USAA Mobile app worked fine. Then made mistake of accepting upgrade to iOS10.1.1. Bricks the USAA Mobile banking application. You can log into that app okay, and do your business okay. But when you log out the app freezes when the "log out successful" window displays. At that point the app is bricked (but not my iPad Pro; other apps continue to work fine). Only fix is to reboot iPad Pro, then you're good for another cycle. Happens every time, a repeatable error. Booted up my old iPad3 (iOS 9.3.5) and confirmed that it still runs USAA Mobile okay. Sure hope Apple comes out with iOS10.2 quickly.

Can access my USAA banking and insurance accounts via Safari browser, so bricked USAA Mobile app is not a crisis, but is certainly annoying. Expected better of Apple.

Last edited:

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got a new iPad PRO. Updated everything from my old iPad3. USAA Mobile app worked fine. Then made mistake of accepting upgrade to iOS10.1.1. Bricks the USAA Mobile banking application. You can log into that app okay, and do your business okay. But when you log out the app freezes when the "log out successful" window displays. At that point the app is bricked (but not my iPad Pro; other apps continue to work fine). Only fix is to reboot iPad Pro, then you're good for another cycle. Happens every time, a repeatable error. Booted up my old iPad3 (iOS 9.3.5) and confirmed that it still runs USAA Mobile okay. Sure hope Apple comes out with iOS10.2 quickly.

Can access my USAA banking and insurance accounts via Safari browser, so bricked USAA Mobile app is not a crisis, but is certainly annoying. Expected better of Apple.

The Developers would be the ones who shoulder the blame in this case. The onus is on them to ensure their App is compatible with the latest version iOS .

You should be able to force close the USAA app by double clicking the home button and swiping up on the App. A reboot shouldn't be necessary.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The developers of your banking app would certainly have had access to beta versions of iOS 10 and should have been able to test their app for compatibility with the latest version of iOS 10. You could contact the developer to express your concerns and a desire for a rapid resolution of the problem.

OP
dane1234

dane1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Developers would be the ones who shoulder the blame in this case. The onus is on them to ensure their App is compatible with the latest version iOS .

You should be able to force close the USAA app by double clicking the home button and swiping up on the App. A reboot shouldn't be necessary.

OP
dane1234

dane1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, wasn't aware of that trick. Yes, double tapping the home button and then swiping up on the bricked USAA moble app let me force close the app without rebooting my iPad. Still locks up every time when the app is exited. Worked okay under 10.1, but not using the just released 10.1.1. I have alerted USAA to the problem as well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you have the most recent version of the USAA app. There have been a couple of recent updates, the last one on 3 Nov.

BTW, it works fine on my 12.9 inch iPad Pro. You didn't specify which iPad Pro you have.

OP
dane1234

dane1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the upgrade fixed the lock up problem. The November 9 update of the USAA Mobile app, to V7.26.4, says simply that it's for "bug fixes".

Most reactions

Latest posts