What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing myself as asked.

ccrispy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I am the proud possessor of a new ipad 2 that I was given for Christmas. Tis a wondrous thing - so wondrous that the world and his wife want to play with it. So, please could you tell this novice how I put a password or pin number on my mailbox. There must be a way. I don't think that people would deliberately snoop but the way that you get the last thing you were on when you open up means that it could easily open up on my mail page - messaging too. I have a 14-year-old daughter who is fond of commandeering the ipad too, without so much as a by-your-leave and the same applies in this instance. I think I can set it to not do that but it is very useful sometimes, for instance with the Kindle. I like it to open where I left off.

When you first receive it you want to try out everything and I have sent several messages, which, oddly, have not been answered. I had worked out that, if the send button was 'alive', this meant that the message was to someone with the same service who would, therefore, be receiving my message. Is this so or am I up the creek? Maybe it's just that nobody wants to talk to me.

Reading the 'welcome mail brings forth another question. What on earth is an islate? Is this another name, given by those in the know, to an ipad? I am so glad that this forum exists as there is so much to learn and it is good to know that there are people out there willing to help. Would be so grateful for any advice and hope that, one day, I might be sufficiently accomplished as to be able to offer advice myself. Don't hold your breath tho'.

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! A moderator will probably be along shortly to give you a few links and to welcome you :). In the mean time I'd like to let you know that a lot of the questions you may have can be found out through a quick search on the forum.
In answer to your question about email passwords here is some information I posted in a similar question to yours not long ago (not all of it is relevant):
MrLuke said:
First of all you'd be better starting a new thread for a question if you weren't the OP or the question has nothing to do with the title, that way you're more likely to get an answer. But on topic: other than setting a universal password (that is entered whenever the IPad is unlocked) you can't prevent people form viewing your mail or anything else.
PS there is one method but it's quite tiresome. You could go into settings every time you finish with your iPad and remove the password from your mail account, the only problem is that it would only stop downloading of messages. Any already there could be viewed.
Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ccrispy said:
Hi everybody.

I am the proud possessor of a new ipad 2 that I was given for Christmas. Tis a wondrous thing - so wondrous that the world and his wife want to play with it. So, please could you tell this novice how I put a password or pin number on my mailbox. There must be a way. I don't think that people would deliberately snoop but the way that you get the last thing you were on when you open up means that it could easily open up on my mail page - messaging too. I have a 14-year-old daughter who is fond of commandeering the ipad too, without so much as a by-your-leave and the same applies in this instance. I think I can set it to not do that but it is very useful sometimes, for instance with the Kindle. I like it to open where I left off.

When you first receive it you want to try out everything and I have sent several messages, which, oddly, have not been answered. I had worked out that, if the send button was 'alive', this meant that the message was to someone with the same service who would, therefore, be receiving my message. Is this so or am I up the creek? Maybe it's just that nobody wants to talk to me.

Reading the 'welcome mail brings forth another question. What on earth is an islate? Is this another name, given by those in the know, to an ipad? I am so glad that this forum exists as there is so much to learn and it is good to know that there are people out there willing to help. Would be so grateful for any advice and hope that, one day, I might be sufficiently accomplished as to be able to offer advice myself. Don't hold your breath tho'.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

No you cannot lock your mail at all. You can lock the iPad through Settings - General - Passcode lock and input a 4 digit code there is scope from the same setting to input a longer password.
iMessage will only work between idevices that have IOS5 activated, if the message sends in a blue bubble, it is iMessage as opposed to green for normal texts. If the person doesn't have iMessage if I remember correctly it will light up as red or pink to signal they don't have iMessage or haven't activated it.
The islate is referring to the iPad and was the first name that people thought it may be called.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

veraderock

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ccrsipy, Welcome to the forum!

iSlate was an early "potential" name for the iPad before the iPad was released. Once the iPad was released as the "iPad" the (on this forum) was changed to iPad.

I don't know where you would have seen that, the welcome email is just a simple one-line just as "Thanks for registering at Apple iPad Forum! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay." Could you let me know where exactly you saw iSlate and forward me the email? I'd like to correct it so we don't confuse other new members. ;)

OP
C

ccrispy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Thank you all for the info and I shall follow the links to see what
I can see. Such a lot to learn but needs must if I am to get the full benefit from this thing. Verderock (sorry if I've got that wrong. Don't want to go back to check in case I can't find the thread again) the name islate was in the welcome message but I' m not sure that I could find it again to give you the details. I will look and get back to you if I manage it. I even have trouble navigating this forum!

Most reactions

Latest posts