What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

internet search behaving oddly on ipad3

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
my ipad has started behaving very oddly when I do a google search! If I type in a search , google displays the results as normal but when I click on one I am directed to an app relating to this! EG I was searching for a tv show & when I clicked on the link to a webpage ( not app store!) the tv player app popped up!
Is there some kind of setting I can adjust? Maybe it is trying to second guess what I want - wrongly?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's some tighter integration between Safari and some apps. For instance, if you click on a link to a YouTube video in Safari it opens the YouTube app to play it.

This integration is almost always specific between an app and the site the app was made for. Unless the app (or site) has something in settings to turn this behavior off, there is nothing you can do about it but delete the app in question. At least nothing I've discovered. And, to be honest, I'm not really sure how this works, whether it is the site, the app, or a combination of both doing the redirecting.

At any rate, this is something Apple made possible, but it is still up to the developer and/or site as to whether it happens. If you don't like it you should leave feedback for that developer and/or website for that app.

I don't have the TV Player app, so I can't confirm (for certain) that it's the same thing going on.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I thought there was maybe something wrong with the ipad. I'll delete the app!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's the best solution, if you don't need or want the app. Otherwise, you just get used to Safari switching to the app to play the content, and become used to switching back to Safari after it's done. This is how I've come to terms with the YouTube/Safari behavior.

Most reactions

Latest posts