What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks app problem and this site search problem on iPad2

dmv501

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I guess the title of this post (hi everyone!) should be the other way round, but here goes:

1. I have a problem with my iBooks app in that every so often when I go to open it, the bookshelf (empty) will appear, nothing happens for about 10 seconds and then it closes. I have deleted the app and re-installed a couple of times. I will admit right now that I have my complete library on my iPad2 - some 3,000 odd books. Is it an issue with the number of files that have to be loaded?

2. I am a noob but I found the search function did not give me results that were particularly useful. I found myself scrolling through a gaming discussion when I searched for an ibooks problem. Any tips for getting better reults?

Donald

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Donald and welcome to the Forum!

This sounds like your app is playing up and it is a much better idea to just close it completely and then relaunch it rather than deleting it and reinstalling. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly.

Are you searching on the app or the website for the Forum, it's a case of choosing your words carefully regardless. If on the site, there are 2 search functions, one on the left and one a little higher on the right, I find the one on the right will bring more results. It can be a little frustrating at times, but I'll try different words if I first don't get the result I want.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm having the same problem. Interesting! I've done all the things suggested by Leelai except delete iBooks totally. 3000+ books is a lot of time wasted reloading them so I just put up with it and try keeping background clear at all times.
I run it down once a month and hopefully a new update might correct this. Thumbs! My fav app by far.
I would suggest you press both buttons until the close the iPad sign and close it down. Then relaunch when it's off by pressing both buttons again. It does seem to take 10 seconds to come on but it does after doing this 'reboot'.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has yours been doing it long Hayles? Could it be the update not working with 5.1?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I must admit its been doing this a while. It's annoying as in it's my fav app. When I logged in yesterday. It did it again. I have 1.2GB available and I have to clear the multitask bar to get it right. It's alright if I'm reading all day but if I try the next day, it does it again. Hmmm! I need to watch what happens and I'll let you know any consistent problems. Leelai

Wow a full minute before it logged into my bookmarked page. I never knew how long I had to wait. It also crashed after waiting 30seconds to log into iBooks. I'd be interested to know if anyone else on iPad original has this problem.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I must admit its been doing this a while. It's annoying as in it's my fav app. When I logged in yesterday. It did it again. I have 1.2GB available and I have to clear the multitask bar to get it right. It's alright if I'm reading all day but if I try the next day, it does it again. Hmmm! I need to watch what happens and I'll let you know any consistent problems. Leelai

Wow a full minute before it logged into my bookmarked page. I never knew how long I had to wait. It also crashed after waiting 30seconds to log into iBooks. I'd be interested to know if anyone else on iPad original has this problem.

I'm thinking now that all apps are being updated to run with the screen of the new iPad and they've gotten bigger that more Ram is required to run them. Although members did report more stability with 5.1 but with time apps are being updated. Could it be the app though? some apps need another update to fix issues that don't come to light until being released.

Good idea to monitor Hayles and maybe others will chime in here too.

iPadBeetle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just joined to find a solution to my ibooks search problem, your post came up. The moderators solution, first paragraph, fixed my problem.

OP
D

dmv501

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
That's good to hear....thanks for letting us know.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

I have now officially moved from iBooks entirely. Using Calibre I have converted my files to .mobi and now use a combination of kindle and (for .epubs and .cbr) Stanza. Since doing that I have had no problems except a little time loading and one time where the thumbs of the book covers did not show - a sync with iTunes cleared that up. It took advice to discover how to add my .mobi and .epub, using the share function in the apps section on iTunes. Now I no longer worry about an app freezing on me.

Most reactions

Latest posts