What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting .jpg effect on iPad (and iPhone4).

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not a link to spam or other rubbish so don't worry.... This is a tech/geek question someone might be able to explain to me...

Just wondering why sometimes certain pictures fail, be they through Safari or if i download and save then transfer to the iPad or iPhone4 they display in a lurid pink!

Have done a reasonable search but haven't found anything that mentions the spec required for the kit on .jpg. As example
it happens with the following two which are circuit diagrams for a tube amplifier: (someone suggested that displaying anything with oldschool Tube technology was beneath that of an iPad)!

http://www.evatco.com.au/project_files/dud120.jpg

and

http://www.evatco.com.au/project_files/dud120-2.jpg

It's more an interest at this stage as the site hosting the images may be the cause but when the .jpgs display perfectly well
on any Mac or PC i'd like to know what the cause is...

Thanks.

Here's another picture with my MacBook working fine on the webpage but what the iPad has completely displayed different colours....

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/petematev8/IMG_1979x.jpg

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can only say that these look the same as your example - inverted.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see what you mean from your last picture.......They look like they are being viewed in autocad, perfectly readable though. A jpg should be readable by just about anything and I can't see any reason for the difference......maybe one of our photo peeps will have a better idea?

Of course it could be an effect caused by the 12 miles of cables on your desk!

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not a link to spam or other rubbish so don't worry.... This is a tech/geek question someone might be able to explain to me...

Just wondering why sometimes certain pictures fail, be they through Safari or if i download and save then transfer to the iPad or iPhone4 they display in a lurid pink!

Have done a reasonable search but haven't found anything that mentions the spec required for the kit on .jpg. As example
it happens with the following two which are circuit diagrams for a tube amplifier: (someone suggested that displaying anything with oldschool Tube technology was beneath that of an iPad)!

http://www.evatco.com.au/project_files/dud120.jpg

and

http://www.evatco.com.au/project_files/dud120-2.jpg

It's more an interest at this stage as the site hosting the images may be the cause but when the .jpgs display perfectly well
on any Mac or PC i'd like to know what the cause is...

Thanks.

Here's another picture with my MacBook working fine on the webpage but what the iPad has completely displayed different colours....

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/petematev8/IMG_1979x.jpg

I downloaded the first two pictures that you provided links to on my iPad and they display OK - no lurid pinks and certainly nothing like the picture on the iPad in your final link. Now I'm not particularly good with colours, so I asked my wife and she said the background was white or grey on the images I'd downloaded on my iPad.

Have you tried the 'fix all problems' cure of powering the iPad down and up again...OK ....yes, of course, you've tried that....OK...I'll go away and hassle some other Forum members....

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I remember a similar effect from years back when I would take pictures from some Windows program for drawings back to my Mac.

I get the inverted pictures on my iPad too.

I could fix it by converting them to png. Also by converting them to pdf, but only if I ran them through one of the Quartz filters in Preview. I used the blue one to make it look like an old fashioned blue print. If you just convert to pdf it encapsulates the original jpg and the problem remains. Both methods tripled the file size.

I did not find any other way of fixing it. But then I don't have any image editing programs loaded right now, so I couldn't get a good look at all the file attributes.

msparks13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Decent fix

Little after the fact, but in case any one googles to this like I did, I did find a work around for this. Only on a mac...

I am running Lion and I simple Save as in Preview didn't do the trick for me.
Two options, One a little easier then the other.

1. Open the file in preview. Chose File-> Export. Set the obvious and then under quartz filter select reduce file size. Then hit save. Put the file on your iPad and you should be good to go. This will also circumvent and "large" file size issues you may get from other ways to "fix" this.

2. If you need to have the images in even higher quality, as the first option may decrease the quality slightly then there are more steps.
Select the file you need and choose open with-> ColorSync Utility. Top left of the screen is the button to open filter inspector (three circles, one green, blue and red). Click the downward triangle next to Reduce file size and select duplicate. Rename the copy to anything and then Press the downward triangle on this file. Select Add domains. Then Expand the field (triangle on the left of the name). Expand Image Expansion. Change the quality bar to max. Expand Domains and check PDF workflows. Close the filters box.
On the bottom of the original screen that was opened there is a filter option. Select the file you just created and click apply. Then save the file and you are good to go with a higher quality.

This will fix any color issues with pdf images on iPads. I had pdf images for an anatomy book that the colors were off on, almost negative, and this worked like a charm. Once its set up its very easy and quick for future pdf image problems.

devdia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking into this and it seems the reason is a simple file name issue, if the image has a filename with spaces it is deemed invalid and renders on websites as a kind of inverse colour. Also an image with dashes in the name is the same.

Most reactions