What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed the sim card?

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'm at my brother now using my ipad and connected to his wireless router and everything is fine. Now I've inserted the O2 Sim card what I chose when order the iPad. I've not had the sim card in be for and in the top corner next to the signal strength for the wireless signal said no sim card. now I've inserted the sim card it says O2 and bars at the side for signal strength. At the moment I'm using the wierless mode and not the sim card. When i leave to go home and get out of range of my brothers wireless range and will it auto go to the O2 sim card?. Will it also ask for password be for signing into The simcard?.

If you need any more info on my question please ask.

Thanks.

Doncaosdelanada

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you synced with iTunes yet with your sim card in? It'll update your sim card details etc on your iPad and then you'll be fine. It took me two attempts on two different versions of iTunes.

OP
S

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Ive not yet synced with itunes since installing the sim card and I'm home no and it didn't connect to 3G on the way so i will sync with iTunes later. Also when using 3G will automatic take money of the cred card as I have a card to buy apps etc.

thanks

Doncaosdelanada

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NP.
Thinking about it - it may have worked for me the second time round cos I wasn't connected to my wifi. So it's worth switching wifi off before syncing if you are still having trouble.

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you connect to iTunes it will detect your sim card and tell you new carrier settings are available.

Update them, and then you should be able to connect to 3G and complete the on device data plan signup by going to Settings>Cellular Data.

Cheers

OP
S

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. thanks and it did work when i turned the wierless settings off . All it said was i needed to set up a data plan but i will do that when needed.

I no you can pay for different data plans and i chose the O2 for mine, and the minimum cost is £2 for so many megabites. Carnt remember how many. But if i buy a itunes voucher and redeem it onto the store could i use that to buy a data plan so i could go 3G or is it only credit card only payment?. Like i said i do have my card setup for itunes/apple store as that is where i got my ipad from from there website and also the store it self where you buy apps. But the apps ive brought already i chose to buy a voucher from the supermarket so can you do it that way as well for the data plan.

Sorry for all the Questions.

Last edited:

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem!

You can NOT use your iTunes account or gift cards to pay for a data plan. You are required to enter your credit card information separately and it is charged directly by O2, not Apple.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The data plans have nothing to do with Apple. To make the iPad more useful to the buying public, they made deals with the cell phone companies, but your contract is with the cell phone company only.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you connect to iTunes it will detect your sim card and tell you new carrier settings are available.

Update them, and then you should be able to connect to 3G and complete the on device data plan signup by going to Settings>Cellular Data.

Cheers

For my 3G i just cut my sim card ( we don’t have yet micro-sim) and i enter the APN info just turn on and off the 3G (2 times) and work immediately like a charm …

By the way i have noticed sometime even you are under wifi area if the signal get weak the iPad turn by himself in 3G so for the one have short data plan is better to turn off the 3G until you really need it

Most reactions

Latest posts