What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Install Password Problem

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last summer I had to replace my iPad 3rd gen. at the Apple store. I believe in the restore, I or tech changed my Apple ID or I changed the Apple ID at a later date. I updated IOS 7 and patch, without any problems.

Problem: FaceTime, ITunes, App Srore, Find Friend & Ipad works, as well as icloud. When they released the 7.2.1 upgrade I clicked installed and entered my password. Error notice, incorrect password. Try every password I could remember before freezing iPad. I signed out all apps mentioned above and used the same password, no promlem signing in. Everything works, no problem with me.com emails. I just cannot install using the same password.

I can sign in to my Apple.com, verify all account information, without any problems. I tried the restart method, no change.

Any suggestions to get install to accept my password? My Apple ID is set to my ISP email address, which is only seven digests vs, 8 required so the password is different. I tried resetting to me.com, same problem. Thank you in advance for assistance.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you set up a passcode? - That's the combination you use when you want to unlock your iPad after it was locked. Maybe it's asking for this.

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J.A. Yes I tried the four digest pass code, no luck. Thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do I understand that you have both a [email protected] email/username + password, and a non-apple-email/username + password?

This is probably going to be obvious, and you've probably already done it: but whichever you've been trying to use, try the other in the same place.

It is possible to have to Apple IDs, one for iCloud and one for the App Store (and maybe even an unrelated third ID). It can be hard to tell when the device is asking for which one.

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J. A was correct. She typed passcode and I read password. I failed to notice, senior moment, they just wanted my passcode, and dimbie me was trying to input password. Twerppoet I change, do not recall why, my Apple ID primary email address to my ISP ( different passwords) and confused what the upgrade was asking for.

Thank you J. A. your reply trigger a few brain cells to react and realize the difference.

Most reactions

Latest posts