What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inspell

robert1305

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed a lot of members use inspell, but when I tried to purchase it wouldn’t let me,said it can not be used with IOS5.1

Is there a way of forcing it? I like the way my spell checker works on my PC, squiggly red line underneath mis spelt word

Regards Bob

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never a good idea to find a way round a restriction like that Bob. Running apps / tweak that were designed for a previous version is a sure fire way to end up with an unstable device, and you can even end up having to restore to fix things.

Inspell was a great tweak on 4.x, but IOS 5.x has much better spell checking which is broadly comparable to inspell (although I do concede it is STILL not as good!). But until a version for 5.x surfaces (and that might be very unlikely), I would recommend you don't try and find a back door to get it installed.

Just for reference, in our "ultimate list" of apps / tweaks thread we try and keep compatibility information up to date as best we can - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

You might like to look into ManualCorrect which alters how the iPad auto-correct works. There is a free version to try out I think...

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Almost never force anything, because there are hardware and/or software restrictions that can damage your device for good. From experience, my friend tried to backdoor through 5-row Keyboard on the iPad 2 5.0.1, and ended up having to restore his iPad completely without being given the option to backup his contents because his device wouldn't boot, and the root files couldn't be accessed. If it says it's incompatible, best to leave it alone and look for an alternative.

EDIT: To be clear, it would mean your device will be forced into a DFU-mode-like state, where you can't access the roots, but essentially your device is still intact and you can restore it back and rejailbreak. Unless you have some professional equipment, you won't be able to extract the roots.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
willerz2 said:
Almost never force anything, because there are hardware and/or software restrictions that can damage your device for good. From experience, my friend tried to backdoor through 5-row Keyboard on the iPad 2 5.0.1, and ended up having to restore his iPad completely without being given the option to backup his contents because his device wouldn't boot, and the root files couldn't be accessed. If it says it's incompatible, best to leave it alone and look for an alternative.

But just to be clear so we don't mislead members, you can never damage an iPad device "for good' though the installation of apps or tweaks, even incompatible ones. A restore is always possible unless there is a hardware fault. You cannot brick an iPad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, Bob, just in case - don't look for Inspell to come to iOS 5.x. The developer of the tweak has stated he's not going to bother updating it. So, it'll never be compatible.

Just so's you don't waste your time in the future (or now), haunting the Cydia "Changes" tab, hoping to see an update...

Marilyn

Most reactions