What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In May, the iPad accounted for 82.4% of the U.S. tablet traffic

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
20130624chitikachart1.gif

Tablets have become a mainstream commodity these days and if you are curious enough to take a peek at what people actually use, you’ll be stunned to find that they all seem to agree – the Apple tablet.

A new report coming from Chitika indicates the exact same thing – at least here in the U.S. According to their findings, the iPad alone has produced up to 82.4% of the overall American tablet traffic during the month May 2013.

Chitika calculated these numbers taking into account the 4 billion ads per month is has set up over 300,000 sites. Therefore, when reading this survey one should bear in mind that the data presented in it only accou​​nts for the Chitika network. However, this doesn’t mean the overall data is somehow misguided. On the contrary, other studies have shown the exact same trend - the iPad being used more often than other tablets, thus generating more traffic. This is the fifth time the iPad has been rated the first tablet traffic producer in the US by Chitika.

Coming in at number two is the Amazon Kindle Fire, of course. We have become accustomed in seeing it in this position and according to Chitika, it generates 6.5% of the overall traffic. Up next we have Android tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tablets, Google Nexus Tablets and other Android tablets.

For more in depth understanding of tablet produced traffic, Chitika also released information regarding tablet trends covering the months of March, April and May. The different types of iPads still dominated the top while the Amazon Kindle Fire took the runner up position.

Source: MacObserver

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Imagine being Microsoft and trying to become competitive in this field. Must be daunting.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Imagine being Microsoft and trying to become competitive in this field. Must be daunting.

Yep. Just yesterday I was handed a windows 8 tablet at work and my task is to test a light client version of our software on it. There were a few setup steps and even that was tedious and much harder than it needed to be. Took me too long to find what I needed and it wasn't obvious how to do it. I've been using windows since version 3.1 and never fumbled around so much in my life. I always felt I was an advanced user but yesterday I was reduced to a blithering idiot..... Just ugly. I'm sure it's something you get used to but I can't see me ever liking it. I missed my iPad yesterday, really bad!

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Microsoft blew it with Surface. They could've made a good tablet but Windows 8 and the storage debacle pretty much shot their chances to get into this market.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Microsoft blew it with Surface. They could've made a good tablet but Windows 8 and the storage debacle pretty much shot their chances to get into this market.

Agreed. I really can't get into it at all. Windows 8 is off my list as far as operating systems go. We are very close to being due for a new laptop and it may very well have to be an apple. Although, damn.... Apple laptops are extremely expensive for what you get. Tough deal.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed. I really can't get into it at all. Windows 8 is off my list as far as operating systems go. We are very close to being due for a new laptop and it may very well have to be an apple. Although, damn.... Apple laptops are extremely expensive for what you get. Tough deal.

My MacBook Pro is the best computer purchase I've ever made. I've also dual booted it with W7 so I can play some games that the Mac doesn't seem to like (Maplestory and The Sims).

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I am not so sure they blew it. We love iPads and many here have never lived with a Surface long enough to say if it is good or bad.

W8 is what it is and it is different. No problem learning and the Surface has much to reccomend it. Like no need to JB the thing. Rather, Root it. And I can run standard Win Applications. I am finding it hard to resist.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

When you have been around the Tech block a few decades, you will learn that something out of left field suddenly becomes hot and no tech company is forever. No telling what Cook will do to the company and there is no guarantee Apple will rule the roost until the end of time.

there are always a couple of guys in the garage devising something that grabs the public eye. This is just the way it is; the way it always has been and the way it always will be.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you have been around the Tech block a few decades, you will learn that something out of left field suddenly becomes hot and no tech company is forever. No telling what Cook will do to the company and there is no guarantee Apple will rule the roost until the end of time.

there are always a couple of guys in the garage devising something that grabs the public eye. This is just the way it is; the way it always has been and the way it always will be.

Yeah, I can agree with that. The next best thing is always lurking out there somewhere. I still find windows 8 annoying and I can't see me ever getting used to it but that doesn't mean apple will rule the tablet market forever either.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

And Microsoft is the company that was on top and is no longer. They are not the garage people. Apple doesn't rule the roost in a lot of important ways, too, they just manage to be very profitable. And yes, there day is coming as well, those I have my doubts about garage people devising the next big thing.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder why Forbes reports such a massive difference in numbers, showing only 40% of the market in 2013.
Apple's Tablets Selling Well But Market Share Slips While Samsung Grows - Forbes

Because the stats are measuring completely different things.

The first set of stats:

<< ... the iPad alone has produced up to 82.4% of the overall American tablet traffic during the month May 2013.

Chitika calculated these numbers taking into account the 4 billion ads per month is has set up over 300,000 sites. Therefore, when reading this survey one should bear in mind that the data presented in it only accou​​nts for the Chitika network. .... >>

The Forbes info is about actual tablet sales.

No manipulation is needed for both sets of info to be correct. Just don't take one set of stats and jump to unwarranted conclusions. You can measure all the web traffic you want, and that doesn't mean it necessarily reflects tablet sales. (That would be like measuring weight to guess blood pressure. There might be a correlation, but if you want to know blood pressure, then measure that specifically.) If you want to measure tablet sales, measure that. People use tablets in all sorts of ways -- web traffic is only one slice of that.

Reading comprehension is determined by the reader. The info doesn't change.

The

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because the stats are measuring completely different things.

The first set of stats:

<< ... the iPad alone has produced up to 82.4% of the overall American tablet traffic during the month May 2013.

Chitika calculated these numbers taking into account the 4 billion ads per month is has set up over 300,000 sites. Therefore, when reading this survey one should bear in mind that the data presented in it only accou​​nts for the Chitika network. .... >>

The Forbes info is about actual tablet sales.

No manipulation is needed for both sets of info to be correct. Just don't take one set of stats and jump to unwarranted conclusions. You can measure all the web traffic you want, and that doesn't mean it necessarily reflects tablet sales. (That would be like measuring weight to guess blood pressure. There might be a correlation, but if you want to know blood pressure, then measure that specifically.) If you want to measure tablet sales, measure that. People use tablets in all sorts of ways -- web traffic is only one slice of that.

Reading comprehension is determined by the reader. The info doesn't change.

The

No need to insult my reading skills. Obviously I misunderstood. Some of the posters seemed to be getting excited about this number. So I assumed it was about sales. Why the heck is anyone excited about internet usage? Now that I read the OP again, I have to say... so what.

Maybe I missed something over the years, but doesn't this just mean people aren't storing that much on their iPads, and just downloading/streaming more on their iPads. For most us us, it's almost the only way to get information ON the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts