What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In-car GPS/Enterainment

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I had two Garmins before iPad, and have since iPad 1 and 2 replaced one of the Garmins. I'll keep buying them as needed, as long as they keep making them. I have a Garmin in each car in each state where I have homes, and my husband does as well. We leave them in the cars, so it doesn't matter what other devices we might carry.

I used to use maps -- never saw the need for GPS, but I was converted by a gift Garmin.

You sound like someone who has more devices than I do. Frankly, I want fewer of them and the ones I do use i want to do more stuff.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You sound like someone who has more devices than I do. Frankly, I want fewer of them and the ones I do use i want to do more stuff.

We probably agree on wanting convenience, and we just differ on what's convenient for our lifestyles.

For some things, I prefer specialization. Depending on what I want to do, I use oven, toaster oven, toaster or microwave, for example.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've made two 6+ hour trips using my iPad for gps with the navigon app. I set the screen to 50% brightness. I started both trips at 100% and ended at 100%. On the second trip, I stopped for lunch. I took the iPad off power but left navigon open and the screen on, so it was running on battery. Once I got back to the car, the battery read 96%. After putting it back on power, the battery was back to 100% by the end of my trip (another 100 miles of driving).

It could be that if there is weak 3/4G reception on the route, that the iPad could draw more power, causing the charging to be very different, so YMMV.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently picked up a little 2012 Hyundai Accent.

Like all late model North American Hyundai vehicles It comes with an iPod interface (wich also works with the iPhone and iPad). Hyundai charges over 30 bucks for the cable that mates the connector on the iDevice with the car's stereo/USB input jacks... (But you can get the same cable for around 8 bucks on eBay).

The interface is brilliant..... I can connect my iPad, then wedge it between the passenger seat and the console.. Using the stereo controls, I can go through my music library and select and play songs by album, composer etc... All this info is shown on the radio display. I don't have to look at the iPad.

As a bonus, when running my favorite GPS program (GPS Drive), the voice directions come over what I'm listening to and are heard loud and clear on the car stereo.

As an extra bonus, when listening to TuneIn Radio, I can pause and jump ahead/behind using my steering wheel radio controls... and as before, I'f I'm navigating with GPS Drive, the instructions are heard on the car's radio....

Last edited:

t_raww13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, it is hard to see in general. The iPad, IMO, is perfect for long trips:
IMG_0461.jpg

Very easy to view at a glance. I keep my Garmin as a backup...tucked away inside my car.

Looks great man. I just joined up here and have been wanting to do it.. You wouldn't have a few pics of ur method? This was my deck I used to have but switched for a clarion. Same size stuff though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 473

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks great man. I just joined up here and have been wanting to do it.. You wouldn't have a few pics of ur method? This was my deck I used to have but switched for a clarion. Same size stuff though.

I was using that setup in my old car...but I got a new car in July so I'm not using this anymore (it has built in nav). In the old 2002 Camry, I had a OEM deck with a cassette player...so I used a job that cassette adapter on one end and a 3.5mm stereo connector on the other. That 3.5 mm stereo connector when in the headphone jack of the iPad. So this is how I got music, audiobook and Navigon to all sound through my car's speaker system (I always get the top of the line audio in any car I buy because I think it pays for itself over the long run -- though, in my younger years I would install my own, but I don't enjoy that anymore).

As a mount, I used one that comes from Arkon. This one:

Amazon.com: Arkon TAB-FSM Tablet Seat Bolt Mount: Computers & Accessories

attached on the passenger side. While the arm is quite strong, the iPad will tend to vibrate when you pass over bumps in the road. So I used a form block I got from the box of some other piece of electronic gear I bought...adjusted the holder to put the iPad close enough to the dash that I would wedge the block between the two...this zeroed out most of the vibrations. Keep in mind I only used this on long trips.

I used a 12v car charger that supplies both 10W and 5W on a usb port. Using the 10W port, I could keep a charge on long trips...Others have found that the iPad 3 would lose charge on long trips. I think this is a function of 1) your brightness level on the iPad (you need brighter in the daytime) and 2) the charger used. It could also depend on whether you're using bluetooth and LTE. Since I was using Navigon, which has it's own maps installed, I didn't need to use cellular. I also wasn't using BT in that setup. I did the same with my iPad 2 and never had any issues with charging, though.

I'll see if I have any more detail pics later today and if so I will post them.

Mscosmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, the GPS I use is Waze at www.waze.com. It is a free app that you can use on your phone or iPad. Why pay extra for a stand alone GPS or an expensive in-dash GPS system. Check it out!

Sent from my iP3/64gb Blk using iPF :)

t_raww13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was using that setup in my old car...but I got a new car in July so I'm not using this anymore (it has built in nav). In the old 2002 Camry, I had a OEM deck with a cassette player...so I used a job that cassette adapter on one end and a 3.5mm stereo connector on the other. That 3.5 mm stereo connector when in the headphone jack of the iPad. So this is how I got music, audiobook and Navigon to all sound through my car's speaker system (I always get the top of the line audio in any car I buy because I think it pays for itself over the long run -- though, in my younger years I would install my own, but I don't enjoy that anymore).

As a mount, I used one that comes from Arkon. This one:

Amazon.com: Arkon TAB-FSM Tablet Seat Bolt Mount: Computers & Accessories

attached on the passenger side. While the arm is quite strong, the iPad will tend to vibrate when you pass over bumps in the road. So I used a form block I got from the box of some other piece of electronic gear I bought...adjusted the holder to put the iPad close enough to the dash that I would wedge the block between the two...this zeroed out most of the vibrations. Keep in mind I only used this on long trips.

I used a 12v car charger that supplies both 10W and 5W on a usb port. Using the 10W port, I could keep a charge on long trips...Others have found that the iPad 3 would lose charge on long trips. I think this is a function of 1) your brightness level on the iPad (you need brighter in the daytime) and 2) the charger used. It could also depend on whether you're using bluetooth and LTE. Since I was using Navigon, which has it's own maps installed, I didn't need to use cellular. I also wasn't using BT in that setup. I did the same with my iPad 2 and never had any issues with charging, though.

I'll see if I have any more detail pics later today and if so I will post them.

Got it all set up. Thank you for your help and all your info. Just what I needed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 597

Most reactions

Latest posts