What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improved Mail App Behavior under iOS 7.1

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this? It is big for me because it is a feature I have wanted on iOS for a LONG time.

In the baked-in Mail app, if you read a message on one iOS device, and then check mail again on another iOS device, the previously read messages are show as being read!

YAY! This saves me a lot of time. No more having to go though messages many times to clear them as read. Now, only the ones that you haven't looked at will show up as not being read. So, you can check mail on all of your iOS devices in an efficient manner. Since I get a LOT of email, this is a big.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised to read this. My email accounts show this behaviour ever since I use two iPads (iOS 6, I suppose). Outlook and iCloud are the accounts there.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It doesn't do that for me. My phone and AirPad will show unread emails on each until I have viewed on both. I thought that was the case and just sent myself a test email. Showed new mail on Pad and phone. Viewed it on my iPad Air and it still showed new email on my Phone. Using built in mail, not going into Safari and using Google Mail, or Yahoo, etc.

Weird. Wonder if there is a setting? I can't figure which setting, but will check again.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I probably should have pointed out that I'm using Hotmail, gmail, and charter accounts. I don't use Outlook or iCloud.

If there is a setting, I have not found it or used it. It just started working on iOS 7.1.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no setting on the iPad, afaik. I didn't find anything that could be selected to change the behaviour of the account.

I used my Gmail account on my built in Mail app, before I started using Mailbox. I never had to open an email twice to mark it as read on both devices.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I just use the mail app with my Roadrunner pop3 accounts. No change with those.

Most reactions

Latest posts