What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing bookmarks into Safari without a PC. Is this possible?

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Firstly, I have searched first, but every thread I have found talks about using a PC as a middle step to import bookmarks. As I am fully "post PC" & we only have android tablets & a new iPad, I'd like to be able to import bookmarks directly.

1. I have 2 html files listing all my bookmarks - can I import them into Safari using only an iPad?
  2. If not, is there any other browser that will do this?
  3. If not, can I open the files, tap the links & have them open in Safari? If so, which is the best app in which to open the files & tap the links, please?

If there is a way, can someone advise please. Thanks in advance :)

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't do it with Safari, but iCab Mobile can definitely import them if they're in the Netscape bookmarks.html format.

Pretty much any app that can open a HTML file would work in theory, but in practice it really depends on the app if it opens in Safari, a web view widget, or if the links work at all.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Joey :)

Any other suggestions from anyone else?
Can Safari open a saved html file?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have cloud storage such as Dropbox? I ask because:

On my Windows PC, I used Firefox (v14.0.1) to "Export Bookmarks to HTML." Then, at generation, I saved the file in my Dropbox folder on the PC. I then opened the Dropbox app on my iPad, browsed to where I put the bookmarks.html file and selected it in Dropbox.

When the file displayed in Dropbox, it had links that I was able to press on and they then opened in Safari with no trouble. You'd then have to save each bookmark in Safari, but at least they'd be on the iPad. I don't think it would matter which browser created that .html file.

If you don't have it, the Dropbox app is free in the App Store, the computer server program that can be installed on a PC or Mac is free and you get the first 2GB of storage free.

Just another way to get bookmarks over...

Marilyn

P.S. And, I don't know where you have those two .html files, but you can get them into Dropbox without a PC/Mac by e-mailing them to Dropbox. So, no PC required if the list already exists.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn :) Yes I do have Dropbox, & Box & Google Drive & NAS :D

You may remember being kind enough to answer lots of research type questions from me here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...-assistance-please-pre-purchase-research.html - I'm pleased to say that I have found out a great deal since then thanks to ipf. I'm now about to buy my first Apple device :)

I'm finding out lots of (non jailbroken) ways around things. Often, as in your suggestion, it just takes a little lateral thinking.

I did some reading on iCab Mobile, too & I must say it reads as just the sort of browser for someone wanting to use their iPad as a main device, rather than as a secondary one, so I'm grateful for joeyteel's suggestion.

When I'm using the iPad, I'll write up some "post-PC" how to's for others.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know, I've been thinking about the whole "mail the .html to dropbox" thing. I thought, "what if I mail it to myself?"

It works!

I sent the bookmarks.html file to my e-mail and opened it with the stock/default Mail app. It opened with the links - I pressed on one and off I went to Safari!

So, that might be the easiest way to get bookmarks into Safari, unless you can get it so's you can import the bookmarks directly into another app/browser.

Yet another way... :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts