What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage help

Mudrucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. I obviously have 5.0 with iMessage on both devices. I always always always get iMessages on my phone, however, I get only about 80% of my iMessages on my iPad. I carry both around with me most of the time. I don't know what the problem is. The problem is not constant sonitsnhard to troubleshoot. Sometimes I'll get iMessages on my iPad sometimes i won't. Any suggestions? (I have tried many, looking for new developments)

OP
M

Mudrucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also for some reason when I stat a conversation on my iPhone and message my girlfriend (example) I come in her phone normally, like my normal contact that she has for me. But once I respond to her on my iPad it stars a new conversation and it shows my email address in her conversation list. Surely I don't have to tell everyone to add my email to their contact address book... If I do that's lame.

I've heard if the trick for setting my caller ID on my iPhone as my same email as my iPad BUT all that does is exactly what I mentioned above. Everyone asks why I'm not coming in as their set contact. They ask why i am now coming in as some weird email address that they haven't heard of. Not to mention if I set my email address as my 'caller ID', wont people that I SMS from my phone (those without iMessage) not get it?

Tis is a more complex problem than it seems. And these kinds if tech 'problems' reeeeally bug me. Hopefully someone has a nice solution. :)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want replies to your messages to go to both your phone and your iPad, both caller ids must be the same. Your iPad will not receive messages sent to your phone number.

Caller id only works with iMessage, not SMS, so those messages are not affected.

OP
M

Mudrucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok ok that's good news. My only other question is, what about the fact that in their imessage list my name shows up as my email. No way around that?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's what caller I'd does. It defines how your message shows up to them - that is where it came from.

The rumor is Apple will be allowing the phone number associated with your iCloud account to be used as your caller id in a future release for non phone devices - though at this time it's only a rumor.

Most reactions

Latest posts