What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMazing Backups and Old Versions of iOS

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Something I have never been quite sure about and often wonder. Frequently I see posts from people with iPads and iPhones who want to go back to an old version of iOS, which by then is unsigned. As far as downloading and installing an older version, this is not on once the version is unsigned. (Please exclude jail breaking a device from this discussion.)

I am currently on the latest versions of iOS for both iPad and iPhones (15.7 and 16.0.2 respectively.) I have backups on iMazing going back to 12.2 for our iPad and iPhones, which I think go back to when I first purchased iMazing a few years back. If for some strange - very strange - reason I reinstalled say an 14.0 backup, would the device actually then have 14.0 installed and operate under 14.0 or would the signing of older versions stop this? By the way, by keeping these backups, I can still return to old messages, Whatsapps, photos, etc. if something had been lost or deleted.

1. Obviously there may be other reasons for which an earlier version would not work; some old versions, and I forget which, would not let you downgrade once you have installed the latest update. It terms of what I am currently asking, this can be ignored.

2. There are other backup applications and they have different results when restoring an old backup.

3. I could try it, but sheer cowardice prevails :)

Just curious, but I would be interested to know what the views of others are on this subject.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Something I have never been quite sure about and often wonder. Frequently I see posts from people with iPads and iPhones who want to go back to an old version of iOS, which by then is unsigned. As far as downloading and installing an older version, this is not on once the version is unsigned. (Please exclude jail breaking a device from this discussion.)

I am currently on the latest versions of iOS for both iPad and iPhones (15.7 and 16.0.2 respectively.) I have backups on iMazing going back to 12.2 for our iPad and iPhones, which I think go back to when I first purchased iMazing a few years back. If for some strange - very strange - reason I reinstalled say an 14.0 backup, would the device actually then have 14.0 installed and operate under 14.0 or would the signing of older versions stop this? By the way, by keeping these backups, I can still return to old messages, Whatsapps, photos, etc. if something had been lost or deleted.

1. Obviously there may be other reasons for which an earlier version would not work; some old versions, and I forget which, would not let you downgrade once you have installed the latest update. It terms of what I am currently asking, this can be ignored.

2. There are other backup applications and they have different results when restoring an old backup.

3. I could try it, but sheer cowardice prevails :)

Just curious, but I would be interested to know what the views of others are on this subject.

An iMazing backup comprises your data and settings, but not the operating system. It should be possible to use the backup made on an iOS 14 device to a newer iOS, but it wont make the newer device run an old system.

Most reactions

Latest posts