What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imaging Discussions

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have noticed that the resolution of the photos I post is visibly less than the originals in my camera roll.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I have noticed that the resolution of the photos I post is visibly less than the originals in my camera roll.

Does the resolution deteriorate if you tweak the image in any way?

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I say "trim it a bit" I mean to less than 1 Mb. I know 850Kb works. I'm not sure exactly where the limit lies, but I think it's slightly greater than 1Mb

Don't you think it's absurd for an iPad app to reject photos taken by an iPad? If there's insufficient space to store 5-megapixel images, then reduce them on the server as they arrive. Don't simply fail the upload with no explanation and make us guess what we did "wrong." If it really is a filesize issue, then build reduction into the app. Don't make us buy another app on speculation that it *might* solve the problem. And no, I'm not about to switch to Hotmail, which would ban me from several mailing lists because of the trouble it causes for list admins.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't you think it's absurd for an iPad app to reject photos taken by an iPad? If there's insufficient space to store 5-megapixel images, then reduce them on the server as they arrive. Don't simply fail the upload with no explanation and make us guess what we did "wrong." If it really is a filesize issue, then build reduction into the app. Don't make us buy another app on speculation that it *might* solve the problem. And no, I'm not about to switch to Hotmail, which would ban me from several mailing lists because of the trouble it causes for list admins.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

I agree with your point Lanny. The technology to reduce the image size exists within the iPad apps. Sometimes, when I have sent out images from my iPad I've been given the option to choose a file size. Small, medium or large. This facility is provided randomly by the app. I cannot remember which app, but I think it is for sending emails.

In fact, a nice little app would be one which provides a pop up notification that you are within ##Mb of filling spare memory. The app could be run to scan the iPad memory to root out duplicate files for possible deletion and to list very large files to be compressed or deleted.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried out my Olympus point and shoot camera zoom.

image-3032201390.jpg

Cars opposite us. Note the Peugot wearing a Denver boot. It was clamped by Merton Council enforcers - that authority is next but 1 West of Bromley. It's unusual to see out of authority clamping.

image-1300602564.jpg

This was taken at the max 5x zoom, which isn't bad.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried out my Olympus point and shoot camera zoom.

View attachment 43794

Cars opposite us. Note the Peugot wearing a Denver boot. It was clamped by Merton Council enforcers - that authority is next but 1 West of Bromley. It's unusual to see out of authority clamping.

View attachment 43793

This was taken at the max 5x zoom, which isn't bad.

I find that first picture interesting Richard.
We have clamping here, I've never seen it myself. That must be a real source of embarrassment to have that done in full view of your neighbors.
Sorry for all the following questions:
What would he have been clamped for? Exceeding a time limit or something worse? Here they get clamped for speeding, drunk driving, non registration etc.
Would not that car, facing in the wrong direction, have got a ticket or worse? That's a no no here as far as the sticker lickers are concerned.
How in tarnation do cars parked so close together get out without bumper dents? I've seen that particularly in London, France, Italy. That's always intrigued me. We don't seem to do that here, treating our car bumper bars as definitely not needing to be bumped;)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find that first picture interesting Richard.
We have clamping here, I've never seen it myself. That must be a real source of embarrassment to have that done in full view of your neighbors.
Sorry for all the following questions:
What would he have been clamped for? Exceeding a time limit or something worse? Here they get clamped for speeding, drunk driving, non registration etc.
Would not that car, facing in the wrong direction, have got a ticket or worse? That's a no no here as far as the sticker lickers are concerned.
How in tarnation do cars parked so close together get out without bumper dents? I've seen that particularly in London, France, Italy. That's always intrigued me. We don't seem to do that here, treating our car bumper bars as definitely not needing to be bumped;)
Andrew

I'm not sure why the car was clamped. The road tax was current. I was surprised to see the sticker placed by a local Authority (Merton) which isn't Bromley.

Because of the clamping by Merton, it wasn't a local traffic offence. Perhaps the driver had a fine to pay, and courtbaliffs or traffic wardens from Merton had caught up with the motorist. The clamp had been removed within 24 hours which adds to my theory that a fine of some sort had been paid off.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm posting some more examples of what Amplivision, the iPad camera zoom app, can do. The quality does deteriorate rapidly as you zoom in. However, it's a handy app for taking quickly zoomed photos with the iPad.

image-43955365.jpg

image-1756505379.jpg

The text in the following example isn't too bad. Perhaps the app would work well for magnifying the very small print in contracts, etc? ;)

image-3150627097.jpg

image-2807478222.jpg

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm just now getting around to "scanning" some of my slides. This is a first cut using my nex-6 with a 16-50mm power zoom lens. I have plenty of other lens and techniques to try.

Attachments

• image-890762044.jpg
    image-890762044.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 415
  • image-1318675474.jpg
    image-1318675474.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 508
  • image-1919254852.jpg
    image-1919254852.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 424
  • image-3599047138.jpg
    image-3599047138.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 472

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is how I got those scanned above:

Attachments

• image-2040265921.jpg
    image-2040265921.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 425
  • image-4240797000.jpg
    image-4240797000.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 422

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What an interesting technique for getting a film slide onto the camera roll.
Andrew

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's really clever, AQ_OC. I would never have thought of using the iPad for the light source. Do you hand hold the camera?

Yep. Right now that's what I'm going. I didn't (and won't as I have to attend to other matters over the coming weeks) use a tripod, but that might help. I found it easier just to put the ipad on a desktop.

This was a quick and dirty too...prototype just to see how the images come out. I hacked the end of the Cystral light container off with scissors (pretty uneven) and then cut slots in either side at one end to hold the slide. Just roughing it out (I have several of those containers). The cut end of the container is not really flat, but it should be to make this work best.

The NEX-6 has something called focus peaking (I think OB's camera has that too). I used that sometimes for the focus because the image was quite dark through the view finder. And I had to crop severely on these images.

I think all of this can be improved quite easily. For one thing, I can use either a macro lens or some extension tubes to decrease focus length. If you use a macro lens, then it will be very important to make sure the slide is in a flat plane that can be aligned with the focal plane of the lens/camera system. I can do a better job of hacking off the end and cutting the slots. I'm wondering too if it would help to control the extra light inside the column as well. I thought about using a column from a roll of paper towels. Not sure if that is large enough, though.

Anyway, I'm hoping you guys will have some time to play around over the next few weeks. I was planning to do this when Richard started this thread, but life happened and I had other things to which to attend, as I do again now.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What an interesting technique for getting a film slide onto the camera roll.
Andrew

I'm actually shooting from the top of that tube using a camera. I'm focusing on the slide which is about 3/4 of an inch above the iPad screen. Of course, it works perfectly well using an iPhone too. I just did one and it is actually easier than using a camera (but, not as many pixels and no raw post processing).

Attachments

• image-433359884.jpg
    image-433359884.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 396

Most reactions