What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imaging Discussions

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go through them and seperate by exposure. Not every slide will be perfect; some will be over exposed and under exposed. So seperate them so you do you do not have to make changes for every slide.

If you have lots of slides, consider a local scanner rental and give up your weekend.

Thanks for the advice, Bob, I'll keep it in mind when I get around to doing the transfers.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been experimenting some more. I used my Canon Powershot in normal and macro modes. OK, the macro image is not well aligned. Also, the macro image is not as sharply focused as the one on normal mode.
I went on to crop and process both images in the 2 photo apps on the iPad.

image-3930894183.jpg

The normal mode version.

image-1469965146.jpg

The macro mode version.

In Snapseed, I used the drama preset image processing feature with both photos.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was looking at the ION scanners. The initial reviews looked promising, as did the £40.00 price tag.

I then rechecked things and came across this site which looks at a wide range of scanners. http://slidescannerreview.co.uk/

I think I will persevere with my Epson scanner and buy an air jet. :)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How are you getting on with your new Olympus system camera OB?

ADDENDUM... As it happens my point and shoot is an ....

image-3466776114.jpg

I'll post an example of its zoom capabilities later.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How are you getting on with your new Olympus system camera OB?

Thank you Richard, bit coincidental this. I was planning to do the below pics tomorrow with daylight (now 8.30pm Mon and dark). But quickly lined up my babies:) on the dining room table under fairly subdued lighting.
esu5u9ab.jpg

And despite the poor lighting I think the iPad camera gives a reasonable idea of what I have here.
zyvu7a8a.jpg

The above is the menagerie.

That little lot taken from the front:
3e3ydyda.jpg

My first OM system camera the OM2n beautifully finished in top quality chrome with revolutionary "off the film plane" exposure, used by many professionals in various theatres of war. A tough little jewel still works as well as when I bought it new. Here.
zyteqeha.jpg

My next purchase was the magnificent Olympus OM4Ti with a tough titanium body favoured by professional photographers like Britain's David Bailey. It had advanced features for its time including averaging of chosen spot metering up to 8 spots for great picture control and a revolutionary flash sync of up to 1/2000 sec, which flash unit I also still have. I loved this camera and have fond memories of tramping the countryside with my Manfrotto tripod, still going strong, trying to express myself photographically. And the number of camera club embossed winner's drink coasters scattered around the place show I had not done so badly while having great fun. Here it is in all black:
zy5emyha.jpg

And of course my new purchase, a week or so old, my first serious digital camera, the Olympus OMD-EM5 system camera, still with those magnificent Zuiko lenses, amid the sharpest in the world. And a logical extension of the previous OM system cameras mirroring them with that lovely retro look that is very satisfying. It's an incredible camera with a 12-50mm (24-100mm equivalent) standard lens which, like the body, is water and dust proof. It boasts the world's fastest auto focusing system and has a most advanced anti-shake 5way system built into the body so you can use any lenses you want with the right adaptors, including all my Zuiko lenses from my other cameras. Here's my new toy:
udyvepe3.jpg

tu9umepa.jpg

I was very disappointed in Olympus when the digital revolution came about and it abandoned the OM system concept for a series of measly little handbag cameras, meaning my lovely gear and lenses just sat in the cupboard and, apart from a nice little Panasonic non SLR snapper, I had virtually given up on photography. The enthusiasm is coming back now and, although the legs would not be able to do all that prior countryside tramping about with a tripod and camera bag, I'm now looking forward to more shutter clicking in my own way.
Richard, I'm sorry this has turned out so lengthy. But hey! That's my new shooter.;)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was very disappointed in Olympus when the digital revolution came about and it abandoned the OM system concept for a series of measly little handbag cameras, meaning my lovely gear and lenses just sat in the cupboard and, apart from a nice little Panasonic non SLR snapper, I had virtually given up on photography. The enthusiasm is coming back now and, although the legs would not be able to do all that prior countryside tramping about with a tripod and camera bag, I'm now looking forward to more shutter clicking in my own way.
Richard, I'm sorry this has turned out so lengthy. But hey! That's my new shooter.;)
Andrew

Thank you for your post Andrew. That's a great story. I can see why you were so keen to but the OM D kit. It's very classy looking, and I'm so pleased to read that your interest in photography has been rekindled.

It's a great story.

Cheers

Richard

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to introduce another area for discussion. What apps do you use for getting images, processing images and annotating images.

This screen shot shows what I have on my iPad . . .

image-2265012549.jpg

The apps fall into 4 groups.

1. Taking images - AmpliVision for taking zoomed photographs. The greater the zoom, the photo quality drops off quickly.
Fotoscan HD turns the iPad into a hand held scanner. A pretty neat utility which turns the iPad into a more
versatile field instrument.

2. Processing images - Snapseed allows you to crop, adjust colour brightness etc. it does a pretty good job.
PhotoStudio HD does much the same job as Snapseed plus there is a gallery of special effects, frames
etc. to give nice colour effects to turn photos into works of art.

3. Annotation and production - A+Signature. Add symbols, notes etc to an image. Its handy, but can be clumsy to use.
Lightt. Produce time lapse sequences with the iPad and post on line. I find this app limited in
scope, and hardly use it.

4. Image journals by others - NASA. For those amazing space shots etc.
Amazing Universe. Much the same as NASA.
Eye witness. Press photos of the day etc.

There's a taster of what I use and enjoy.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are my apps, also under the general folder captioned "Photography"

5azydade.jpg

"Slideshow" I have found to be a nice app to control displays of my photo albums.

"Best Album" I've found to be a good album manager, mainly for displaying on the iPad overseas travel shots and various archives of research material catering for a few interests of mine where I have synced them onto the iPad from my PC**

"PS Express (Photoshop Express) I use almost exclusively for my photo manipulation/correction of shots taken with the iPad** (I think the PhotoStudio app you see here is also very good. But I use PS Express mainly; I guess just what I'm used to:) I find it works nicely with the Tapatalk forum app that I use to interact with this forum.

**I said I use PS Express for photos taken by the iPad to manipulate/correct shots in the iPad's Camera Roll and Photo Stream albums. For most of my "important" photography, travel, research etc I upload from the camera onto Google's "Picasa" album management/manipulation app on my Windows8 PC. I then, once manipulated where necessary, and arranged in suitable albums, sync those over to an app on the iPad called Web Albums. This works very well, where I can view all my albums on both the iPad and the PC. And if I like, I can still alter any of those shots with PS Express. I've tried to limit the number of apps here under the KISS principle;)
Andrew

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There has been some talk about occasional problems with putting photographs into posts. One suggestion was that this problem could occur with images which are larger than 15Mb.

Is there a size limit? I've never had any problems - then I tend to load small files of less than 2.0Mb. I have tried loading files of less than 500Kb, but the quality suffers, and the images cannot be readily enlarged without a loss of viewing quality.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, it has nothing to do with file size. The image appears to upload, but at the end there's a dialog box that says the server has a bad plug-in or something and failed. Other times it works OK.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it has nothing to do with file size. The image appears to upload, but at the end there's a dialog box that says the server has a bad plug-in or something and failed. Other times it works OK.

Nevertheless, that is what is happening. The forum software spits out that error message when the uploaded file is too large. The limit is around 900Mb. If you attempt to upload too large a file from a Mac, it simply won't do it. Here's a partial screenshot, showing the error condition.

Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 9.12.53 AM.png

The attempted file was a full screenshot from my 15" MBPr.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's what I get with the IPF app:
image-3647658559.jpg

The image that failed is 2.8 MB.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what I get with the IPF app:

View attachment 43470

Yes, that's the one I've seen before, when I've attempted to upload large files. If you can trim it a bit, you will find that it will upload with no problems. I believe emailing it to yourself through a Hotmail account is a simple way to shrink an image. Gmail won't do it, because it doesn't attempt to compress the file.

EDIT: When I say "trim it a bit" I mean to less than 1 Mb. I know 850Kb works. I'm not sure exactly where the limit lies, but I think it's slightly greater than 1Mb

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be consistent, I've successfully posted photos larger than that using the iPF app. Maybe the large photos I posted were automatically re-sized?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be consistent, I've successfully posted photos larger than that using the iPF app. Maybe the large photos I posted were automatically re-sized?

Possible, I guess, but why would it do it on an arbitrary basis? The error message that Lanny managed to generate seems to indicate a problem with error handling, rather than a deliberate policy to limit file sizes.

Most reactions

Latest posts