What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image stabilization on the iPad 3

buzzradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a setting for the image stabilization? Does the image stabilization work taking pictures and video? I don't see a difference from my iphone and the iPad3 as far as the video being smoother and less jittery? Any feed back appreciated.

Thanks

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad apparently uses the iPhone 4 camera with some better software from the 4S. For someone who has not used either iPhones, I found the camera feature great, but have not had a lot of time to experiment. It may be a long time before I get totally used to it, but I like what I see so far.

OP
B

buzzradio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, so far so good. But the whole "image stabilization" feature stumps me. can't tell if it's on or off, or if it even works. The video is amazing though!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
The iPad apparently uses the iPhone 4 camera with some better software from the 4S. For someone who has not used either iPhones, I found the camera feature great, but have not had a lot of time to experiment. It may be a long time before I get totally used to it, but I like what I see so far.

The camera in the iPad 3 is not the same as the iPhone 4. It has a different fixed aperture for one. By all accounts it is the same set up as the iPhone 4s just with a smaller resolution sensor.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The most interesting -- though perhaps unsurprising -- discovery is that Apple has apparently reused cameras from prior products for both the front and rear cameras on the new iPad. The rear camera, pictured above, appears to be the same 5 megapixel CMOS Image Sensor that was used in the iPhone 4.
That unit was the Omnivision OV5650. The OV5650 is the second generation back illumination (BI) technology from OmniVision. This 5 Mp camera features 1.75 µm pixels, and is designed to deliver DSC quality in a mobile phone application. The sensor supports HD (1080p) video at 60 fps. Apple specifications for the new iPad also tout the same specification. So the analysis we have just completed… drum roll please... says that the 5 Mp back illuminated CMOS Image Sensor in the new iPad is the same, it is the Omnivision OV5650 (die mark OV290BF).
The front camera in the new iPad is the 0.3 megapixel Omnivision OV297AA unit seen previously in the iPad 2 and the old camera-equipped iPod Nano. Chipworks notes that this isn't the first time Apple has recycled parts into new products, and that the strategy keeps costs and technological risks low.

I know nothing about mobile device cameras, but this is the report from ifixit's tear down.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
I know nothing about mobile device cameras, but this is the report from ifixit's tear down.

I'm surprised by that report. Take a photo on the iPhone 4 and check its exit data. It uses f/2.8. A photo on the iPhone 4s or iPad 3 uses f/2.4. A different aperture and since thee devices use a fixed aperture, it can't be the same unit. Similar yes but not the same unless the iPad 3 keynote was incorrect about the f/2.4 quote.

Most reactions