What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
-2543206189057983233_IMG_5169.jpg

DSLR
IMG_2860.jpg

iPhone

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Memphis Belle at the Museum of the USAF in Dayton, Oh. Taken with my iPhone X with the silver filter turned on...View attachment 85688

Thanks PrismStudios for posting the Memphis Belle pic - we saw the plane in Memphis years ago when under a tarp on Mud Island (pics below from web) - poor choice as noted in the quotes, so glad about its restoration and move to Dayton. Also below: 1) 1944 documentary about the Belle made by the famous director William Wyler; and 2) 1990 Memphis Belle movie which I own on BD - highly recommended. Plus, a recent color pic of the restored plane! Dave :)

After the war, the Memphis Belle was saved from reclamation at Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma where she had been consigned since 1 August 1945, by the efforts of the mayor of Memphis, Walter Chandler. The city of Memphis bought the B-17 for US$350 (equivalent to $4,871 in 2018). She was flown to Memphis in July 1946 and stored until the summer of 1949 when she was placed on display at the National Guard armory near the city's fairgrounds. She sat out-of-doors into the 1980s, slowly deteriorating from weather and vandalism. Souvenir hunters removed almost all of the interior components. Eventually no instruments were left in the cockpit, and virtually every removable piece of the aircraft's interior had been scavenged, often severing the aircraft's wiring and control cables in the process. (Source)

In the early 1970s, another mayor had donated the historic aircraft back to the Air Force, but they allowed her to remain in Memphis contingent on her being maintained. Efforts by the locally organized Memphis Belle Memorial Association, Inc. (MBMA) saw the aircraft moved to Mud Island in the Mississippi River in 1987 for display in a new pavilion with large tarp cover. She was still open to the elements, however, and prone to weathering. Pigeons would also nest inside the tarp and droppings were constantly needing removal from the B-17. Dissatisfaction with the site led to efforts to create a new museum facility in Shelby County. In the summer of 2003 the Belle was disassembled and moved to a restoration facility at the former Naval Air Station Memphis in Millington, Tennessee for work. In September 2004, however, the National Museum of the United States Air Force, apparently tiring of the ups and downs of the city's attempts to preserve the aircraft, indicated that they wanted her back for restoration and eventual display at the museum at Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton, Ohio.(Source)
MemphisBelle1.png
MemphisBelle2.jpg
MemphisBelle3.jpg

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ostrich Anyone - a healthier 'red meat'!

Well, not the usual posting here but I do like the first pic - I love red meat to go w/ my red wine but have avoided beef (for dietary & health issues), so have found substitutes - e.g. we order bison filets and elk tenderloins from Jackson Hole, Wyoming - BUT, other options are birds, such as ostrich and emu. Just received our first order from a local ostrich farm in Robbins, NC (about 90 mins from us - see map); we purchased several leaner cuts & some ground meat - their biggest bird, a male named 'Ed' is 10 ft tall and weighs about 400 pounds!

Misty Morning Ranch is located just south of Seagrove (famous for pottery) and the NC Zoo, and near Pinehurst & Southern Pines (famous for golf) - the meat cuts (from the upper legs and back only and all RED!) are many - also included a nutritional table for those interested - I've had plenty of ostrich over the years, mainly at restaurants - and yes, tastes exactly like beef, but has to be cooked no greater than medium (I like medium rare or even slightly rarer) - for those needing to watch their diets regarding calories, fat & cholesterol, then give ostrich a try; and for those living in the North Carolina area or adjacent states, visit the website and place an order - this is a young couple from Los Angeles starting the farm just a few years ago and need plenty of support. Dave :)
Ostrich1.jpg
Ostrich2.png
Ostrich3.png
Ostrich4.png

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One-horned Indian Rhino born at Miami Zoo - just heard the story today on my local NPR 'Here & Now' show - short summation quoted below - if interested, check the LINK for the audio story and interview. Dave :)

A rare one-horned Indian rhino has been born in captivity as the result of artificial insemination. The development is important because the species is endangered in the wild. Here & Now's Peter O'Dowd talks with Terri Roth, vice president of Asia programs at the International Rhino Foundation. (LINK)
0429_bb-rhino-1000x667.png

Most reactions