What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just on my FB account and my BIL in Montauk, Long Island just posted the pic below w/ the comment "The Hamptons Highway Departments advised me THEY ARE READY!!!" - gave me a chuckle - Montauk is just a short drive to East Hampton and a little further to Southampton - for those not aware of 'The Hamptons', then see the beginning of a Wiki article quoted below - there are super expensive mansions in the villages and towns, especially on the ocean. Dave :)

The Hamptons, also called the "East End" (of Long Island), are a group of villages and hamlets in the towns of Southampton and East Hampton, which form the South Fork of Long Island, New York, U.S. The Hamptons form a popular seaside resort, one of the historical summer colonies of the American Northeast. The area features some of the most expensive and luxurious residential properties in the U.S. (Wiki source)
Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 12.00.13 PM.png

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did the UK a dozen or so years ago. London to Wales to the Outer Hebrides to Dover and back to London. Of course we did the tower. We put 3,000 miles on the rental car but my photos are all on film. I think I need to get a scanner.

Here is a big guy (about 7') we passed walking on a trail in the Viera Wetlands last week. I think he was trying to get a suntan.

Gators are not aggressive towards humans. I think we are too big to eat. I wouldn't want to spook one though, as I'm sure they would be defensive if they felt threatened.

I pass by them slowly, and don't move directly towards them. I'm more careful later in the spring when they start bellowing and claiming territory. When they are that active, it just seems prudent to be more cautious.

! Gator 1.jpg

! Gator 2.jpg

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did the UK a dozen or so years ago. London to Wales to the Outer Hebrides to Dover and back to London. Of course we did the tower. We put 3,000 miles on the rental car but my photos are all on film. I think I need to get a scanner.

Here is a big guy (about 7') we passed walking on a trail in the Viera Wetlands last week. I think he was trying to get a suntan.

Gators are not aggressive towards humans. I think we are too big to eat. I wouldn't want to spook one though, as I'm sure they would be defensive if they felt threatened.

I pass by them slowly, and don't move directly towards them. I'm more careful later in the spring when they start bellowing and claiming territory. When they are that active, it just seems prudent to be more cautious.

View attachment 70079

View attachment 70080
Great pics! I'd keep well clear because of that smile:confused: I have had some worrying experiences with humans with just that kind of smile lol.
Andrew

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well for those who may have been reading my travelogue on Montauk, Long Island where we usually visit in wonderful seasons, the winters can be cold & lonely - the recent Storm Jonas hit the area w/ much snow, unusual since the surrounding water (i.e. the Atlantic Ocean & Long Island Sound) usually moderates the weather considerably, BUT not this time! Below is a pic posted by my BIL on FB today from the deck of the Montauk house - the image is beautiful but I'm rather shocked having never seem this visual before 'in person' - enjoy - BTW, his power is out. Dave :)
12510316_10207708908937032_3667168062495758380_n.jpg

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great pics! I'd keep well clear because of that smile:confused: I have had some worrying experiences with humans with just that kind of smile lol.
Andrew

At least the 'gators are honest - they haven't the brain to be deceptive.

When in the "Shark Valley" area of the Eveglades, I saw a ranger mowing the lawn in front of the visitor center. He was using a powered push mower and there was an alligator on the lawn. He just mowed around the gator, gave him about 12 feet leeway. I'm not that bold.

There are no sharks in shark valley. It's fresh water, and not very deep.

Shark Valley Trails - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When in the "Shark Valley" area of the Eveglades, I saw a ranger mowing the lawn in front of the visitor center. He was using a powered push mower and there was an alligator on the lawn. He just mowed around the gator, gave him about 12 feet leeway. I'm not that bold.

There are no sharks in shark valley. It's fresh water, and not very deep.

Shark Valley Trails - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Hi Bob - thanks for that link - we need to visit but probably will not make it on our upcoming St. Pete's Beach trip (you recommended a place closer by as I recall - will recheck the posts).

BUT, I was looking at the location of Shark Valley Trails and not far from some of our previous visits - a while back, we were in Naples and like to take a day trip to Everglades City (map below for those not familiar w/ the geography) - on one of our visits, we went to Clyde Butcher's Gallery (next two pics of him filming and of his gallery on the Tamiami Trail - red pin marks his place) and purchased one of his signed limited prints of Lake Istokpoga (which we have not visited but loved the photograph) - WELL, actually a 40" diagonal print in a 52" diagonal frame - so not wallet size - ;)). We could have easily bought a half dozen of Clyde's prints - a recommended visit for those in the area! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 7.04.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 8.58.11 PM.png
clyde_butcher-cropped1.jpg
ClydeButcherHD copy.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The area around Everglades City is more more interesting than Shark Valley. Shark Valley is nice, but there isn't much there. One big paved trail that has a tram and bicycle people on it, and a couple of small foot trails.

However if you visit it on a very dry part of a very dry season (not an el Nino year) you can see a lot of wildlife.

Winter through April or May is usually dry.

The Everglades is a river a couple of inches deep and about 50 miles wide. Since it is so shallow, the sawgrass grows through the grass, hence the name "River Of Grass".

There are small islands in the river (hammocks) with hardwood trees like Mahogany and Live Oak along with pines, poisonwood, vines, and mammals, and deeper channels called sloughs (sounds like slew).

During the dry season, the river dries up except for the sloughs. Shark Valley is one of the deeper sloughs. So the fish are concentrated in teh sloughs, the birds come to feed on the fish, the mammals need the fresh water, so wildlife viewing is good.

In wet years and the summer wet season, the fish and wildlife that was concentrated in the slough now have 50 miles to spread out over, and they do.

I'll try to find some pictures later but I'm being called for lunch

Most reactions