What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IFR Approach plates

craiglaporte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyonew know if I-pad supports downloadable NACO Approach Plates, and if so what app is avilable?

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gosh I haven't done anything Instrument for years. Back when I was active I had Jepps on paper in binders, lol.

My understanding is that they are available in epub and pdf. If so try importing into Goodreader for the pdf or import the epub into iBooks. Goodreader is not free, but is very inexpensive. I've already imported non-purchased epubs into iBooks via iTunes so I know it works in principle.

If I'm wrong on the formats, just tell us the format they are in.

Last edited:

Eck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad for the sole purpose of IFR charts. Everything else is a bonus. I use ForeFlight. It cost about $75.00 per year. I believe it is the best bargain in aviation. I get approach charts, enroute low charts, high altitude charts, and sectionals in this subscription. Outstanding program.

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
P.S. Just in case I want to be clear that the epubs I used are not DRM'd and came from Project Gutenberg -- a free book that was not in the iBook store. I've also heard that some sell Approach charts for Kindle and those should work in the Kindle app. Get a sample first to make sure.

circle to land

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have been researching iPad Charts & Plates for 4 weeks. (Have an iPad on order.) Found 3 serious sources: (1) Fore Flight HD: have it on my iPhone and use for IFR pre planning. Very smooth & well organized. Easy to recover from key errors. Downloading charts, etc is a snap. Expensive but can run one app on both iPhone & iPad. Will use it on my iPad. (2) Sky Charts Pro. You can see a demo on U-Tube. Looks very promising. Has a lot of users. Not as well organized as FF HD and more cumbersome to download. Cheap! (3) Flight Guide iEFB supposed to be available from App store in June. I used to buy some of their paper products and pc-based apps but found customer support severely lacking. Didn't return emails. Contact numbers very hard to find. Negative option renewals. Had to cancel a credit card to get it stopped for one of their products. I would worry about access to technical support.

Patdet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can generate a PDF with multiple airport on on-final.com and store it in the iBook. That's a free website . It works for me as long as the PDF is not too big.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fly pretty much just enough to stay current, but its good to know this stuff is out there for the iPad.

As a side note, I was cleaning up the "man cave" when I came across some old pictures and found this one --

FirstSolo1.jpg

Hard to believe it has been almost 31 years!

node

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Jepps, and have all the charts loaded on the iPAD, for the routes I fly. Also have the airway charts as well, I use these for quick review, when at the Hotel and on board. Very useful for reviewing SIDs & STARs, at the Hotel, or on the Bus, to the Airport. I use Goodreader.

Most reactions

Latest posts