What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iFixit Has Been Acquired by Apple!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OH MY Word! Apple will now have a monopoly on fixing all of your iDevices - :rolleyes:

See quote below from their Press Release - Dave

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 11.29.42 AM.png

We’re pleased to announce that iFixit has been acquired by Apple!iFixit is the industry leader in the global repair movement. With more than 10,000 repair guides and millions of community members worldwide, iFixit has become the most trusted source for “before-you-buy†reviews of consumer electronics and “after-it-breaks†repair documentation.
Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and generally does not discuss their purpose or plans. And financial details have not yet been disclosed. But, we at iFixit feel we ought to explain ourselves to our loyal community.
“Everyone has a numberâ€, admitted Kyle Wiens, iFixit’s CEO. “I didn’t think there was a reasonable number that would make me say, ‘You know I was going to change the world with repair documentation but here’s a number.’†In the end, Apple gave us a number that we couldn’t refuse.
But it isn’t just a number for iFixit. As part of the deal, Apple made a commitment to produce the most replaceable electronic devices and personal computers on the market. This is a clear win for the whole iFixit community.
Apple is working hard to make devices last long enough to be upgraded or irrelevant, making repairability an antiquated notion. iFixit will become a key player in the future of Apple device development, starting with the new Smartphone Replaceability Index.
It has been an exciting adventure for all of us at iFixit, and we can’t thank our dedicated community enough.
Let’s start our next chapter together!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Today is 1st of April! :)

Yep - BINGO! :)

This morning I left this post on the MacForums "Agree w/ Craig - wife just sent me an email that a wedding we plan to attend (a niece that we not really that close) in early May had just been cancelled - now since this involved non-refundable airline tickets, we set up an alternate plan to spend some time in D.C. - I first said GREAT! But - :(

I'm a BIG fan of music, especially classical (have about 5K CDs - began in 1984) and belong to the Good-Music-Guide music forum - below is a new thread opened last night from the forum administrator, Rob - now going for 3 pages w/ a dozen of my fellow members (some 'old-timers') removing their avatars; however, Rob has kept his & one of the mods put a jester's head on his avatar of Haydn...." Dave :D

It has come to our attention that avatars are compromising forum security. The details can't be revealed fully yet, but it seems that the NSA has successfully infiltrated most avatars, and using spyware known as "SnoWdensia", are using them to spy on users posts. More worryingly, since avatars are kept within members' profile, they can have access to all profile information as well as personal messages.

Our recommendation is to remove your avatar, and put it in a specially created folder on your desktop called "Functional Online Obfuscatory Locker", or just use the initials. This directs your virus scanning program to scan the files within. Works or PC and Mac.

If you simply must use an avatar, GMG recommends the one attached. it has been scanned, certified spyware-free and will clearly demonstrate that you have taken the steps to ensure your forum safety.

Regards
Rob and the GMG team

Most reactions

Latest posts