What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iFile - The ultimate filesystem manager

tkmaxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what i dont like is that you cant easily select lots of files and cut and paste - or sort by 'type'

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can select multiple items at a time.
Tap "edit" in the top right. Then tap on each file you want to cut or copy.
Then tap the clipboard icon in the bottom right and tap copy or cut.

As for sorting, tap the gear icon in the bottom left, and in the window that pops up, you can sort using different ways in the "sort criteria" and "sort order" menus.

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can select multiple items at a time.
Tap "edit" in the top right. Then tap on each file you want to cut or copy.
Then tap the clipboard icon in the bottom right and tap copy or cut.

As for sorting, tap the gear icon in the bottom left, and in the window that pops up, you can sort using different ways in the "sort criteria" and "sort order" menus.

Aren't there some differences between the free/trial version and the paid version of iFile? I do not know, but it explains why, on another forum, some people say you can set iFile to use file names rather than the string of characters that ID some things like music files and why it does not work like that for other users.

I bought the paid version, so I am not sure.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am new to iPads, and I am not real savvy about tech talk...so I am sorry if this is a dumb question. I think jail breaking is not good???? But SO many people do it to all kinds of devices, so there must be real benifits. Is it true that if you do jail break your device then you can never get any more updates? Thanks

Jailbreaking is grand indeed. That said, you can use your iPad and no JB, and you can be productive and happy. Really depends on what you want to do. I want to change a theme here and there and I love iFile.

As for if a JB is good or bad, quite often the experts are quick to point out how usefull it can be and hoards of clueless people have nothing else to say much past, "the only reason to jailbreak is to steal applications." Forgetting for a moment that every computer on the market allows you to steal applications. Not the tool, it is the character of the user. There are ways to steal IP. that is true. That said, just mention the name(s) of the applications that allow that to happen and see how your post is greeted. We are not about stealing and this forum, the BEST forum, does not allow discussion of this OT topic. That shows we are not about encouraging the darker side; we simply like change and the long list of things we are now able to do because dedicated developers made it possible.

Trust me on this . . . as soon as some dangers start rearing their ugly heads and a JB becomes more dangerous than we thought, we will know. Go to the hacking section and read every sticky posted at the top of the page. You will learn allot and you can make an informed decision.

mangler1055

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So do we get the ability to drag and drop files into the internal memory as soon as we jailbreak? or do we need some iFile or something else installed in order to do that?

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So do we get the ability to drag and drop files into the internal memory as soon as we jailbreak? or do we need some iFile or something else installed in order to do that?

Well... Yes.
But you need a third party software to do so. For windows, over USB, I use TPot with totalCMD. Just google it.

Over wifi, I use SSH. Install Openssh from cydia and then install an ssh client on a computer connected to the same network.
Install a program like winSCP on windows, or cyberduck on a Mac.
Host name is the iPad's IP address, username is root, and password is alpine.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well... Yes.
But you need a third party software to do so. For windows, over USB, I use TPot with totalCMD. Just google it.

Over wifi, I use SSH. Install Openssh from cydia and then install an ssh client on a computer connected to the same network.
Install a program like winSCP on windows, or cyberduck on a Mac.
Host name is the iPad's IP address, username is root, and password is alpine.

I might be missing something, but is the OP asking if Drag and Drop is opossible on the iPad? I get that you can D and D from your PC to folders open in WinSCP. Hey OP . . . is this what you mean? If not, Greywolf is smart and he is correct.

mangler1055

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might be missing something, but is the OP asking if Drag and Drop is opossible on the iPad? I get that you can D and D from your PC to folders open in WinSCP. Hey OP . . . is this what you mean? If not, Greywolf is smart and he is correct.

I'm pretty sure greywolf answered my question.i was curious if I could drag/drop just using windows explorer pain free on any pc or Mac, once I jailbreak. It appears that I need some software installed in the pc to do d/d.

I'm surprised that we aren't able to turn off that read only pain at the system level somehow with a setting on the iPad itself.

Thanks for your help guys.

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad just doesn't have a stock way to get to the file system. That's why you have to install ifile or something to get to it.
Otherwise, when you plug into your computer, all the iPad knows to do is show the pictures on the camera roll, so that is what you will see if you plug in.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diskaid,program for pc, will also do drag&drop of files....along with a few other things...

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diskaid,program for pc, will also do drag&drop of files....along with a few other things...

But that costs so it might not be an option for some people, like me. I am fine with a free option that works just as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts