What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"If you are new, please post an introduction thread" update

Ednacate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have now sent the document to the Cloud. It seemed to transfer, so I'll check to see if I can access it from my computer. Late now--I will try tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I am using an iPod Air. I think it has ios 9.0. I typed my document using Microsoft Word. I use the Cloud to back up my Quicken files on my computer. And on my Kindle, I store books in the Cloud. I have iCloud on this iPad. Now what I don't know is whether or not I have synced my computer and my iPad in the Cloud. I will go to setting and see if there is an option for that.

Hi again Edna - first, I'm assuming you mean an iPad Air; second, just go to Settings -> About and look half way down the right column - your iOS version will be indicated - current is 9.2 (if you are at 9.0, then update).

Concerning iCloud, you presumably have an account - correct? If so, take a look @ my screen capture below (from Settings -> iCloud) - I don't use too many of the options, but if you need to sync your devices then specific items need to be enabled - let us know how you have chosen your settings, e.g. iCloud Drive is likely the best option for exchanging files - NOW, an unknown to me is whether the Word app files sync across your devices - have you been able to transfer those files before or is this a new issue? Dave :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sending something to the Cloud in Word usually means sending it to OneDrive (Microsofts's cloud storage), not iCloud (Apple's cloud storage).

I've barely used OneDrive myself, but there should be apps on your computer (PC or Mac) or a website you can visit.

Another option is to use the Share item (found in the same place as sending it to the cloud) and send the attachment via email.

You can also choose to set up DropBox and other cloud file services to work with Word and the other Office apps. However the Office apps have one very annoying limitationi. They will not let you move your files from one storage service to the other. Or, at least only in one direction. You can always choose to move files to OneDrive (the Cloud), but there is no way to return them to local storage, or move them to another cloud service.

Basically, Microsoft want's you to use OneDrive, and mostly supports the other services as a way to import files.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I spoke a bit too soon. It is possible to send stuff to DropBox and other services, but they hid it deap. You have to chosoe the action icon next to the file name (box with up arrow), tap the Share item, then Send Attachment, then Send Copy.

At that point you will get the normal share sheet. Besides emailing the attachement you can choose to save a copy to DropBox, Gmail, or other compatible cloud services.

I'm glad you asked this question, because up to now I've been cussing at Word for not letting me move files back out of OneDrive. Awkward as it is, at least it's an option.

Ednacate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spoke a bit too soon. It is possible to send stuff to DropBox and other services, but they hid it deap. You have to chosoe the action icon next to the file name (box with up arrow), tap the Share item, then Send Attachment, then Send Copy.

At that point you will get the normal share sheet. Besides emailing the attachement you can choose to save a copy to DropBox, Gmail, or other compatible cloud services.

I'm glad you asked this question, because up to now I've been cussing at Word for not letting me move files back out of OneDrive. Awkward as it is, at least it's an option.

Not sure yet if my transfer fromi the Cloud worked. But the problem was solved last night. When my18-year-old granddaughter was leaving here last night, I told her that I hadn't figured out how to get a document that I created in Word on my iPad to Word on my computer. She asked for my iPad, and within about 5 seconds or less she took care of it. She didn't have time to tell me how she made the transfer, but I will have her explain it to me later. Certainly makes me realize how little I know about the computer world.

Most reactions

Latest posts