What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iDevice charger compatibility with other electronic devices

innkuang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Jaybird Freedom bluetooth earphone which charges via a USB cable. I am wondering if I could plug it into the power adapter of my iPad 2 or iPhone 4S AC charger when I travel, since I do not have my PC with me.

I checked with the Jaybird earphone manufacturer, and they said that they
do not recommend plugging it in to any AC adapter unless it matches the charging specs for the Jaybird earphone, as it may damage the battery. The specs are: AC Power: DC 5A 100mA.

My question is, is it safe for me to use my iPhone 4 or iPad 2 AC adapter to charge this earphone?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a Jaybird Freedom bluetooth earphone which charges via a USB cable. I am wondering if I could plug it into the power adapter of my iPad 2 or iPhone 4S AC charger when I travel.....

I checked with the Jaybird earphone manufacturer, and they said that they
do not recommend plugging it in to any AC adapter unless it matches the charging specs for the Jaybird earphone, as it may damage the battery. The specs are: AC Power: DC 5A 100mA.

My question is, is it safe for me to use my iPhone 4 or iPad 2 AC adapter to charge this earphone?

Well, as long as the power specs match and the adapters for charging are compatible, then there should not be an issue, BUT are you certain that these power adapters do match?

I do not own an iPhone, but the iPad2 AC power adapter is 10W (i.e. 5V x 2Amps) - your specs above are likely incorrect, i.e. I'm assuming that your earphones are using a power adapter that is 5W (not A) and 100 mA - you can see the difference; your power adapter for the earphones better matches that on an USB port on a computer - you'll be 'shoving in' 10x the amount of current (i.e. amperage) using the iPad's AC adapter - now will that be a problem? Don't know - you could give it a try?

What is irritating to me is that these DAMN electronic makers produce all of these infuriatingly different adapters w/ voltage/amp combinations (that don't match others) and adapters w/ these + & - differences that nothing seems to match! This is just primitive like the days before an Edison light bulb socket was standardized! OK - just venting here - bottom line is that a number of power charges might work w/ your earphones but do you want to input the power of the iPad adapter above? Not sure - let's know if you try and if it works! Good luck! :)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually you don't "shove in" power, you make it available to the device.

Your device may not be able to handle more than 150ma of current.

Here's the rub. USB 3.0 ports today can make available 150ma, 900ma or 1a depending on the configuration of the device being attached.

The manufacturer of your device can tell you what's its capable of. The charger is not necessarily the limiting factor. They may ship the device with a 100ma charger just because it's cheaper than a 1a charger...

Check with the manufacturer.

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If does work, the iPad may display "Not Charging". If so, then ignore it.

Sent from K48

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
I think you might have misread the question.

Sorry, I just gave a suggestion based on what I know. I actually have no real idea what the thread is exactly about.

Sent from K48

Most reactions