What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea: Homemade iPad Stand

travroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, Ok, inadequate CS3 skills aside, I think I'm on to something! Take your average desktop mounted retractable light stand, but instead of the light, simply attach your iPad at the end. This would be great way to compliment your desktop computer with an iPad that has a full range of motion (up,down,left,right,back,forward) hovering right there where you need it. And it could be easily rigged for audio and power. Am I making sense?

I'm still trying to figure out how to properly mount an iPad to the stand. A car mount with a few custom screw holes and a u-bolt would probably work (but expensive). Unlike my picture, you'd need a light stand that fastened to the edge of your desk to counterbalance the weight of an iPad.

Hopefully the attachment works. I might be losing my mind waiting for the 3g to come out, or it might be an alright idea. Who knows..

3 days and counting!

Attachments

• 10A0457.jpg
    10A0457.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 5,349
Last edited:

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good Idea! Keep us posted on your progress.

prince786

iPF Noob
Reaction score
10 Apr 2010 ... MacLife recently posted an amusing article about some interesting homemade iPad stands, ... Want the Perfect iPad Stand? There's A Cat For That says: ... A great idea for an iPad stand I found over at OS X Daily! [...] ...

CatiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the idea, reminds of the swivel arm on my old Mac. Would be nice if it had a large magnet so you could just pop it on an off but then maybe it corrupt data on the drive.

Ellen.

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds cool in theory but I think the leverage of the weight of the iPad would be more than those lamps would support. But a great idea. I'd love to be able to lie in bed watching a movie without having to hold the iPad up in the air! Either your arms get tired from holding it up, or your neck gets tired from having to stair down in an awkward position.

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I would like to make the "iFeet" that dim3m made, I can't seem to use my right hand properly after my spinal op. After buying 4 pieces of the paper binders that dim3m used, i totally wasted 2 of them as I can't hold a penknife properly like I am used to.

So, to DIY my own stand, I opted for the easy way out and that is to use a book end, double sided tape and cut some anti-slip mats. At least with this method, I can angle the iPad to whichever angle I want. Just need to turn the bookend on the longer or shorter edge to adjust the angle.

The anti-slip mat prevents the iPad from slipping down as well as to provide protection.

I'm using this bookend as a photoframe for my iPad as I can connect the power supply to it without any hindrance.

IMG_9552.jpg

IMG_9555.jpg

IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks......It's just a simple workaround solution.

Great when I'm using BigOven and cooking up a storm in the kitchen:D

Saw yours too and it's also a great and simple solution.
With some velcro, yours can be folded flat and carried around.....mine can't:(

Most reactions

Latest posts