What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icon font size

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My wife has an ipad2 with all the latest updates.
I guess as with anyone, the eyesight starts to go a bit.
So she is asking if there is anyway to increase the font in the icons.
She is still ok with the email and notes - just the icon font size.
Thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to Settings > Display & Brightness and turn on Bold Text. The iPad will warn you that it will reboot. When it's done all the system text will 'slightly larger" and bold.

That's about all you can do.

If she needs more, you could try using the Zoom option under Settings > General > Accessibility. There's a bit of a learning curve with the gestures, but you can zoom in/out of any screen when it's activated.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Discovered the bold text thing recently too. Nice little adjunct in lieu of retina display.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses - going to give this a try

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go to Settings > Display & Brightness and turn on Bold Text. The iPad will warn you that it will reboot. When it's done all the system text will 'slightly larger" and bold.

Probably off topic, but ..... As a matter of interest, why, when re-booted, does an iPad lose the time of last full recharge and usage stat ?

I keep a database of usage against battery charge to ascertain how my battery usage is going. If I re-boot for any reason I can't log my stats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have experienced that too. Aggravating.
Turning it off and then back on doesn't always cancel the data. Seems to be hit or miss though.
Usually do my reboots, if possible, when ready to charge.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably off topic, but ..... As a matter of interest, why, when re-booted, does an iPad lose the time of last full recharge and usage stat ?

I keep a database of usage against battery charge to ascertain how my battery usage is going. If I re-boot for any reason I can't log my stats.

Are you sure you're just restarting it (hold down the power button and slide to turn off), or are you reseting it (hold down the power and home buttons until it reboots.

I just did a quick test, and a restart did not reset the usage, but a reset did. A reset is supposed to reset the iPad to a safe default state, so it's not surprising it would affect some timers, counters, and other system information.

There is no reason to reset the iPad all the time, other than some of us (me included) have gotten into the habit, if for no other reason than that it's quicker than turning the iPad off and back on.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TW. The recent re-set which caused my query was caused by my setting bold font in settings, and so I had no option. Thanks for your fedback.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Following my usage saga, I have just synched with iTunes, basically adding hundreds of music tracks via USB. This was done immediately after a full charge from the mains. Imagine my surprise when the usage shows only 14 minutes, even though I left the iPad on for some 2 hours whilst doing other work. And I had also put the auto-lock to never as I was not sure how long it would take. This seems very strange, especially as now I am using the iPad the usage is increasing normally. Note. My PC has an older USB board and does NOT recharge the iPad, I plug it into the mains.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
TW. The recent re-set which caused my query was caused by my setting bold font in settings, and so I had no option. Thanks for your fedback.

Makes sense. The system reset to replace all system fonts is probably just as through as the the deliberate reset. I believe there are apps that will track your power used and battery use automatically; not that I've tried any of them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Following my usage saga, I have just synched with iTunes, basically adding hundreds of music tracks via USB. This was done immediately after a full charge from the mains. Imagine my surprise when the usage shows only 14 minutes, even though I left the iPad on for some 2 hours whilst doing other work. And I had also put the auto-lock to never as I was not sure how long it would take. This seems very strange, especially as now I am using the iPad the usage is increasing normally. Note. My PC has an older USB board and does NOT recharge the iPad, I plug it into the mains.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Even the small amount of current from an older USB port might be enough to trigger the resetting of the charge cycle. It might even be enough to charge the iPad (very slowly) if the screen were off. All USB ports supply some power. It's part of the standard.

You'd need a special cable to prevent this; which might not work either. I don't know how a USB port detects a plug. It might be the continuity of the power pins.

Most reactions

Latest posts