What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud Photo Sharing gives popup stating album is no longer being shared when invitee clicks subscri

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iCloud Photo Sharing gives popup stating album is no longer being shared when invitee clicks subscribe link

I created an album to share. It allows people to post photos. I do not have it creating a web. I don't want that.

I sent invitations and also one to one of my emails. I wanted to see what other people would receive to be able to see in their email my folder. It took forever to get to me. When I clicked to subscribe it said the album was no longer being shard. It was created on my iPad. I was accessing from my iPhone. I am thinking they will all get that popup about it no longer being a shared album nobody will be able to see the photos.

I created another shared album with a different name and it is doing the same thing. I only sent the invite to one of my email addresses. Then I created another and it did the same thing, and the email address I did the invitation to was not accessible from the iPad. It only gets delivered to my iPhone.

I have it set for sharing, and the email invitation comes, after a very long time (hours), I click the link to subscribe and when I get sent to photos, I get a popup stating the album is not longer sharing or something like that.

Why are my albums, that are clearly set up for sharing, not able to be shared when the invitation link is clicked to subscribe?

Does not matter if I create it on my iPad Air or iPhone 6+. Both are completely up-to-date. Settings in camera and photos is set for sharing. Both devices have been shit down completely. All the usual things we are told to do, have been done.

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by the album being created on the web. There is no such option. Though non Apple device users will see the album through a web interface, you have no control over that. Just whether the album is shared nor not.

I've never tried to subscirbe back to an album that I've shared. I'm not even sure it is possible to share to another device that's using the same iCloud account. You should already see all your album shares on both iOS devices when are both on the same iCloud account.

That you can't subscribe to an album already present in Photos is not an unreasonable response from the Photos app. It would keep people from accidently duplicating albums and taking up unnecessary space. Though that error is certainly not the one I'd expect, so maybe there is something else wrong.

You can try the invite from a computer. This would show you the lowest form of sharing, what your non-iOS friends would see.

But, really, the only way to be sure the subscription is working is to have someone (not your iCloud account) subscribe to it and see what happens.

Reactions: caq
OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by the album being created on the web. There is no such option. Though non Apple device users will see the album through a web interface, you have no control over that. Just whether the album is shared nor not.

I've never tried to subscirbe back to an album that I've shared. I'm not even sure it is possible to share to another device that's using the same iCloud account. You should already see all your album shares on both iOS devices when are both on the same iCloud account.

That you can't subscribe to an album already present in Photos is not an unreasonable response from the Photos app. It would keep people from accidently duplicating albums and taking up unnecessary space. Though that error is certainly not the one I'd expect, so maybe there is something else wrong.

You can try the invite from a computer. This would show you the lowest form of sharing, what your non-iOS friends would see.

But, really, the only way to be sure the subscription is working is to have someone (not your iCloud account) subscribe to it and see what happens.

The web part is that they have an option with photo sharing to create a public website. Whenever I was looking on the web about photo sharing that was brought up and that is not something I am willing to do and that option is turned off on my photosharing album.

So you think that I am getting that message because I am in my iCloud account? I was wondering about that but couldn't find anything on that or my issue on the web. Apple's help forum had a section in their Photo Share about getting that message, but it just said it meant the album was no longer shared, which was not my case.

Unfortunately, my relatives aren't close by and kind of slow on the getting back to me. I am a bit tired of emailing my videos and thought this would be easier. I don't do drop box and they would understand even less of drop box than I understand. It is difficult and time consuming to email the videos, especially since my sister uses a droid and can't view the .mov extension Apple uses.

Thanks. If I don't hear from them soon I will email them specifically about it and see if they even received their invitations, and if they did, if they understand it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I mispoke. It's been a while since I set up any shared albums, so I had not run accross the new Public Web choice. After you described it I make a quick share, just to see what the choices are. I did not try to share it back to myself to see what would happen. I may do that later when I have more time. It's heading towards bedtime now.

I'm not certain the error is because you are trying to subscribe to a share on your own iCloud account, but it is the first thing that jumped out at me as a possible cause

I do use DropBox (or Box.com) to share larger files. It's not that much of a learning curve on the recieving side, since they get a link in an email pretty much the same way they would for the share subscriptions. The main difference is that they get a link every time you share a file, instead of just once.

Good luck, and I hope the share works.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm "sharing" some of my shared albums with myself. The email address that I'm inviting is not the iCloud address. What you're describing (no longer been shared) happens to me now since quite some time ago, but I don't remember when it started, sorry! I know I was able to invite both my children to an album a year ago.
The email doesn't need hours to arrive, in my case.

So I'm curious if the people you invited can subscribe to your album, or if this is happening because we're sharing an album with one of our own email addresses.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Photo Share Issue Update (If this gets posted twice, please forgive me, the forum showed an error and said to back up or refresh when I posted a reply a minute ago. I did that and then J.A.'s reply showed up, which was not there when I posted my first update to my issue.)

My sister-in-law was able to join and view the photos and videos. My sister, on the other hand, was not able to. I asked her if she got the message about the album no longer being share, but have not heard back. Could be user error, knowing my sister. But, she is using a droid. I was told any device can join and view the album. This was one reason I created it. Her droid can't view the .mov format of the videos.

As J.A. notes, I, too, was not using my iCloud email address when I was testing it. It is still happening with my own email invitation, but I know the invitations did go out, because my sister-in-law joined. I just have to get my sister in now.

Does anyone know if a droid can access a shared album? Since she said she was unable to, I am thinking all the searching I did got me the usual misinformation.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I invited my daughter to a shared album when she still had her Android, and she was able to subscribe. Yes, a droid can access a shared album.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My sister said that she thinks the issue is that she does not have an iCloud account.

I changed my search wording to, "Do people you share a photo album with need an iCloud account?" I found a help site that stated that people you share an album with need an Apple ID. That solves that mystery.

Most reactions