What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ibooks won't install

Garbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running 5.0.1 jailbreak on my ipad 2 and i had a problem where my ibooks app would load up, the bookshelf would appear for a second and then it crashes. I deleted the app from my computer and then synced so the app would be removed, but when I downloaded it again on my computer and tried to transfer, I received an error stating that the app could not be installed.

Right now the icon is on my ipad 2 but it won't load up (same problem as earlier). However under the "settings icon" on the springboard, ibooks is not listed as an app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

OP
G

Garbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the help in directing me to the page, but i am having problems getting cyberduck to recognize my ipad. How do I do that?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to apologize for pointing you towards that link. I bookmarked three sites when I was having similar problems to yours and that link I provided is NOT what I had to go through to get my iBooks working. That looks like a lot of work ....

There is actually a package available through Cydia that should fix the problem. Try this How to Fix iBooks Error After iOS 5.0.1 Jailbreak | The iPhone FAQ

Now, I am using an iPad 1 with a 4.3.5 jailbreak and the above did not work for me as I believe it only works with iOS 5.x jailbreaks. What I had to do was find an old version of iBooks (saved on my hard drive from an old sync), delete iBooks2 from my device and install the older version and it works fine. I believe the above link should help, but if not I have a couple other tricks that might work.

OP
G

Garbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See I don't have that configuration error like the picture, it just starts up and a second later, shuts down. I do not have an older version of ibooks readily available. I may have one from an old backup, is there anyway to see what version I am running of ibooks in the app folder (just so I don't have to guess what version I have when I pull from my backup or if my backups only have ibooks2)?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try the linked Cydia fix and it didn't work? You can safely assume you have the latest version of iBooks if you aren't seeing an update available for it in the App Store. If you are looking for the old version of iBooks on your hard drive it will be significantly smaller in size than the new one.

I don't have the link handy now but if you Google "iBooks 5.0.1 jailbreak" there is another solution using iFile to get iBooks2 working. I didn't try that one so ymmv.

Most reactions

Latest posts