What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IBooks vs. Kindle vs. Nook apps

Gridguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use iBooks, Kindle, and Nook for different books (to me, they're similar enough that it's like comparing HD TVs -- 6 of one, half-dozen of another), but I'd like to settle on one and roll into my future e-library from there. Any thoughts on that?

This new "no buying directly through an app without paying Apple 30%" policy is troubling to me. Anybody have any insights how this will affect this niche in the future? I don't want to start building my library via Nook or Kindle and then have those books eventually not be available to be read on my iPad ... Or have them make like Borders, or something.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think it will stop the big companies but it is inconvenient to have that button taken away! Like I said in my Kindle thread, what would happen if I didn't update?

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is a minor inconvenience at any rate. The buttons only took you to the bookseller's website. You can still go there in Safari. It just takes one more step.

In the case of Amazon, they are so well known that I doubt more than a handful of people will be confused, or remain confused for long. As for Barns and Noble, well, they are already staggering. This won't help them, but I doubt it makes much of a difference to what happens in the long run.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use iBooks, Kindle, and Nook for different books (to me, they're similar enough that it's like comparing HD TVs -- 6 of one, half-dozen of another), but I'd like to settle on one and roll into my future e-library from there. Any thoughts on that?

This new "no buying directly through an app without paying Apple 30%" policy is troubling to me. Anybody have any insights how this will affect this niche in the future? I don't want to start building my library via Nook or Kindle and then have those books eventually not be available to be read on my iPad ... Or have them make like Borders, or something.

I've concentrated my e-book buying with Amazon/Kindle, because they have the best customer service; they aren't likely to go out of business anytime soon; and they offer apps across operating systems and devices, so I won't be stuck buying iDevices just to keep my e-library in future if I decide to switch hardware.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The only thing I'd suggest you keep in mind during your decision process is that the different bookstores (and thus apps) run/use different version of DRM (Digital Rights Management).

IOW, no book purchased for any of the apps you mentioned will work on the other two. It's a publishing thing...

So, while they are pretty much six of one, half dozen of the other - just keep in mind that buying for one app locks you in to that one app.

Marilyn

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very true, Marilyn! It's a shame I can't copy them to my pc to back them up or is this something I can do but didn't know it?

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66, I know with the Kindle app and Kindle books you don't need to back them up because your purchases are tied to your Amazon account, and can always be re-downloaded on any of your devices that can read Kindle books.

When I got my iPad 2 I already had an Amazon Kindle so my decision was easy to keep using the Kindle app to get my e-books. I liked the iBooks idea but didn't want to use 2 separate e-bookstores. I ended up getting rid of my Kindle a week after I got the iPad 2 but will be getting a new Kindle in about 2 weeks, so I am glad I stuck with Kindle app so now I can download my same books to the new Kindle.

You just need to pick one app and stick to it. Kindle app pluses I like are the amount of devices you can use it on. Say you sell, lose, or damage you iPad and you have nothing to read you iBooks on. But with kindle app you can read them on the Kindle device, iPad, iPhone, Android devices and your computer. The Nook gives you just about the same options to read you ebooks on as well. But I see the Kindle outlasting the Nook, so that is why I bought it over the Nook in the first place.

Last edited:

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
I still use my Kindle (first edition) for a lot of my reading. I like that I can read my books on either the Kindle or the ipad2 application. I did try to do the new amazon cloud yesterday but could not figure out how to delete the books I have read from the library or how to download the books for reading offline. I didn't find the amazon cloud user friendly. So that being the case I will use Kindle app on my ipad2 without the buy button. I usually browse and buy books from amazon from my lap top, so the new button doesn't really bother me that much.

I think the Kindle app is the best of the three. I hope that Apple does not limit us to strictly Ibooks in the future. If it does I doubt I would upgrade my ipad2 to a new ipad in the future. I know some people have sold their Kindles after getting an ipad2, not going to happen from me.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't understand the kindle cloud app either.
I thought all my amazon purchases were readable off line?
Why do I need cloud?
How does it work?

Most reactions