What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks store question

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the ibooks feature on the ipad. My only problem is that I'm a dean koontz fan. I noticed the iBooks store has some of his work but not all. Does anyone know if this is like this for other authors? I think for that reason the kindle may win the e-reader battle.

Simon Wood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwood.net
Yes, this is like this for other authors. Five of my titles made the "first wave" to the iBookstore. Other didn't. The reason why this happens for Mr. Koontz, me and others varies from rights issues to some publishers not having opted into the system yet. Hopefully, everyones work will get on the store soon. It took a while for everybody to get on the iTunes catalog.

BTW, I'm a Dean Koontz fan also. :)

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many publishers are still untrusting of ebooks. I've heard some say that it's costly to bring an ebook to market. That's a lot of... Books exist in electronic format before printing. That's how they come out of the author's computer in the first place. Why wouldn't it come to the public earlier?

Simon Wood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwood.net
Many publishers are still untrusting of ebooks. I've heard some say that it's costly to bring an ebook to market. That's a lot of... Books exist in electronic format before printing. That's how they come out of the author's computer in the first place. Why wouldn't it come to the public earlier?

I could tell some tales that would get me into trouble. :)

But aren't we seeing the same product shift when music went digital. Record companies not releasing stuff for the same reasons. They'll soon come around when it hits their bank balance.

mlouisalocke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mlouisalocke.com
I was wondering if anyone had come across a strategy for browsing the Ibooks store. I get lost between featured selections and some of the narrow categories? Also the free categories seem to be limited primarily to the books in the brown paper covers!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons that the Kindle app is still #1 for me. That's the difference between a company that is primarily in the book selling business (at least that's the way Amazon started) and a company that sells electronic hardware (Apple).

One of the things I can do with Amazon that I can't do with iBooks is browse online at amazon.com on my PC (which is much easier to do than searching on the iPad) and then download it to my iPad when I start the Kindle app. iBooks takes place entirely within the iPad universe. You can't even read your iBooks on your computer... not yet anyway.

Even though I have all the eReading apps from all (that I know of) content providers, no one can beat Amazon in terms of selection. Price wise, sometimes other sources beat their price, but Amazon is my "go to" source for eBooks.

Of course, YMMV!

marlahrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really is a mystery why Apple won't let you into the iBooks experience without being on your iPhone/iTouch/iPad. iTunes lets you play your music on your computer, so why not iBooks? I'm struggling with trying to figure out how to promote my book on iBookstore, which is being run like a Speakeasy.

mlouisalocke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mlouisalocke.com
I have been thinking about whether or not the reason that there haven't been any significant improvements in the IBooks store site in terms of improving the browsing capabilities is that the IBooks feature is just one of thousands of aps and functions available on the IPad. The Kindle on the other hand, not only is a dedicated ereader-therefore Amazon would naturally concentrate on making it as useful as possible, but it mimics the browsing system of the Amazon bookstore-which has years of programing behind it.

I just hope that soon the people at Apple will devote a little more time and money making IBooks store a more welcoming environment. Once you get a book, the experience is wonderful, but for now it feels more like the book department of WalMart than a high-end book store (which is what I expected from Apple).

DArenson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a Dean Koontz fan myself. I think for a while, you'll have to use both iBooks and the Kindle app. :)

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I have been thinking about whether or not the reason that there haven't been any significant improvements in the IBooks store site in terms of improving the browsing capabilities is that the IBooks feature is just one of thousands of aps and functions available on the IPad. The Kindle on the other hand, not only is a dedicated ereader-therefore Amazon would naturally concentrate on making it as useful as possible, but it mimics the browsing system of the Amazon bookstore-which has years of programing behind it.

I just hope that soon the people at Apple will devote a little more time and money making IBooks store a more welcoming environment. Once you get a book, the experience is wonderful, but for now it feels more like the book department of WalMart than a high-end book store (which is what I expected from Apple).

The main difference from other apps to iBooks is that it IS a store. Very few apps are money makers AFTER they've been downloaded. The iBook store has a lot of potential and is so very new that judgements shouldn't be called as to which is best. Ten years ago Napster was THE place to download music and iTunes didn't exist. iTunes has surpassed it and every other music site out there in less than a decade. I'm not saying the iBook store will crush Amazon but upcoming changes will only improve it. (Plus I wish them well because I dislike all things Kindle. :) IMO)

thompson90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me,do you need wifi to read a book? I know on my iPod I do not but it is kindle not iBooks. Thanks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It works exactly the same on the iPad as on the iPod. Once you get the book on your iPad, you don't need to be connected. The biggest difference between buying books with iBooks and Amazon is that you can only buy iBooks on your iPad so obviously for that, you do need to be connected.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Can anyone tell me,do you need wifi to read a book? I know on my iPod I do not but it is kindle not iBooks. Thanks.

The experience will be the same as your iPod. Same readers (Kindle, Kobo, B&N, Borders, Txtr, Goodreader...etc.) and same behavior in purchasing. You can also drag and drop non DRM ePubs and PDF's into iBooks while connected to iTunes. I have gotten to where I have WIFI off a lot as there is just so much to do on the iPad that doesn't involve the internet. That's funny because when I got it 4 months ago I thought it's only use was email, and internet browser..... ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts