What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks emailing books doesn't seem to work for me?

louwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I restored an iPad 3 to an iPad Air....

Mainly the restore worked but hours later the Air lost(?) all my PDF files in iBooks. I don't understand why as all the options were set in iBooks.

Looking in iBooks there appears to be only one way to get PDFs from one iPad to another, by emailing them ONE at a time.

To further complicate matters I cannot access my Yahoo account in Mail on either iPad. It keeps asking for the password and I keep entering it but the server connection keeps getting lost. If I try to set the password in "Settings" it can't connect to the server and doesn't save the password. This is on BOTH iPads (on 7.0.4).

I have been using Yahoo on the 3 for 18 months successfully. It is how I got most of the PDFs into the 3. This appears to be a problem from iOS7 on????

If I access my Yahoo mail through Safari (on the Air) it works PERFECTLY. The server is fully accessible and I can read/delete and send emails (through Safari).

When I go into iBooks on the iPad 3 and email a book to my Yahoo account I get the usual "Whooosh" of the mail being sent but I don't receive the mail on my Air nor on my desktop PC. I tried this individually (to Yahoo) with about 6 different PDFs (from the 3). NONE arrived :(

Then I tried sending a book (in iBooks from the 3) to a non-Yahoo email address. It, too, gets sent (?) (Whooosh) but never arrives.

On my desktop I send a test email from Yahoo to non-Yahoo, it arrives. From the Air (in Safari) I send a test email from the Yahoo to non-Yahoo on the deskop, it arrives. Then it arrives in Mail on the Air.

It seems to me that emailing from iBooks doesn't work (for me)? Does it work for anyboby else. Can someone with a Yahoo email address receive PDFs from iBooks?

I am going to take my problem to a genius on Saturday (too much babysitting before then) but I thought I would test the forum :)

I suspect all is NOT well with the mail routine in 7.0.4? :(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This doesn't help your Yahoo issue (cause I don't have/use Yahoo mail), but, have you tried using iTunes to transfer the PDFs from the 3 to the Air?

As far as I understand it, if you connect the 3 to iTunes, you can go to the iBooks section (at the bottom of the Apps tab) and transfer all the PDFs in iBooks over to your computer (if they don't auto go to iTunes). Then, after safely disconnecting the 3, you can connect the Air and drag-n-drop the PDFs back into its iBook section under apps.

Does that not work and is that, then, the reason why you are trying to e-mail the PDFs?

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried another email account with iBooks? I did what you are doing just last week...I was using my charter account on and sending pdfs to my hotmail and gmail addresses. Also, when you email out of iBooks, the mail app comes up, you can change the account you send from as well as which you send to.

I'd much prefer to use the method Mickey330 mention but I have not been able to get PDFs that didn't come in from iTunes out via iTunes. I believe if you start the PDF transport on your PC/Mac using iTunes then they are saved on that machine so you don't really have to send them back out, you just reload them. But it seems iTunes can't handle (at least in the past), PDFs coming from other places. All this had lead me to NOT send any PDFs to iBooks. I use GoodReader for all PDF work.

OP
louwin

louwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies :)

I didn't try iTunes as I had been convinced (through various enquiries) that the only way was through iBooks. That iTunes didn't like PDFs that came direct from other sources. All my PDFs came from device Support links (User Guides/Manuals etc) and emails from myself.

It's late (23:15) and I have been running after 2 grandsons all day so I'm pooped.... :D

Plus the iPads and iPhone are on charge

I will try your suggestion tomorrow. :)

I was hoping I wouldn't have to email about 50 PDFs one at a time. :D

Thanks again....

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I have to clarify a comment I made. That'll teach me to go from memory instead of actually walking through the process! :)

First, iBooks is not listed under the Apps tab. So, drag-n-drop wouldn't work for this. But, I was able to transfer PDFs from my iPad Air (on iOS 7.0.4) to my iTunes (the latest version). Here's what I did:

(1) I put some PDFs into my iBooks app (I got a file from the web, one from my Dropbox account and one from an e-mail).

(2) I then connected the iPad to iTunes, right clicked on the iPad tab and selected "transfer purchases." Do note that I have my iTunes set to NOT automatically sync the iPad when it's connected.

(3) Once the transfer was complete, I can see all the PDFs I have in the iPad's Books tab within iTunes:

nere4eqa.jpg

So, all PDFs/books I have in iBooks are transferred to iTunes, not just the ones I just put in there for this example.

(4) Now, when I click on the iTunes Book tab, I see that all the files were transferred over to iTunes:

e7epeha2.jpg

Now that they are in iTunes, I can transfer those documents to another device (in my case, it'd be the iPhone as I don't have another iPad):

a8ega8y5.jpg

Oh, and if I UNchecked the books in iTunes and then synced, the books would be removed from the iPad - but they' distill be in iTunes.

It is a bit more convoluted, but still, better than emailing, yeah? :)

Marilyn

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something in your specific problem but when I restored my iPad Air from a previous backup, I was confronted with the same problem: no books in my iBook account. The solution for me was to click on "Store" and then on "Purchases." You should see all your iBook purchases with the little Cloud symbol. You'll just need to download those again if you have not yet read them or want to do so again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something in your specific problem but when I restored my iPad Air from a previous backup, I was confronted with the same problem: no books in my iBook account. The solution for me was to click on "Store" and then on "Purchases." You should see all your iBook purchases with the little Cloud symbol. You'll just need to download those again if you have not yet read them or want to do so again.
The items that louwin wants to get to the new device are PDFs from other sources than iBooks, which is why downloading them again in iBooks isn't possible.

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, as I said, I was missing something. Guessing I did not store any pdf's in my iBooks. I believe I use the Kindle App for those.

OP
louwin

louwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I plugged in the 3 and iTunes automatically loaded and did the backup (I suspect to a local drive).

Looking at the summary I have 58 books, 328Mb worth.

In iTunes/Apps, in the "File Sharing (These apps listed below can transfer documents between your iPad and this computer) - iBooks does NOT appear in the list of apps :(

Can I add it to the list or is this not a solution :(

AQ_OC, well I tried Yahoo AND Amnet (my ISP) and, just now, my Gmail email account. The books do NOT arrive :( :( :(

Sorry, replied before your latest comments arrived :D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I'm understanding you, you have the pdfs on your PC and would like to transfer them to your Ipad. Do you have Dropbox?? This is maybe the very easiest way to do it IMO. Simply drag and drop your pdfs to your PC Dropbox folder and they will appear in your Dropbox app on your Ipad. Open them (yes, you will have to do it one by one but its quick) and open them in the app you wish to read/use them in or simply let them remain in Dropbox and open them as you need them. You can access Dropbox from any computer, phone, tablet.

If you don't have Dropbox, go to dropbox.com, open an account and install the app on your PC. Get the free Dropbox app in the app store. 2GB are free and text takes little room so you have plenty of room to store them.

If you are going to use Ibooks as the app where you want to read your pdfs be sure Ibooks is checked for DATA saved in your Icloud app management in settings and the pdfs will remain when you upgrade firmware.

Last edited:
OP
louwin

louwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Diane, I have PDFs on an iPad 3 I want to sync to an iPad Air. I had done a restore prior....

Anyway, what an elegant solution, Marilyn, Thank you. :)

I did almost what you said as my iTunes displays and GUI are very different to yours (I don't know why?). Maybe because we are upside down in Australia? ;)

I attached the Air after the "Transfer Purchases" on the 3 and ticked Sync/All Books and they ALL went across. Much, much better than emailing them one at a time (even if it worked!) :p

You've solved THAT problem :D

All I have to do now is see a genius about the Yahoo problem. And JFYI I don't normally use my Mail App on my iPhone (screen too small to read mail comfortably) but I tried it out of curiousity and it behaves exactly like the iPads - completely screwed (even though I can see the messages from 3 weeks ago (perfectly)) :(

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad I could help. And, my iTunes probably looks different because I have it setup to look like the old version of iTunes. Couldn't handle it changing so much, so I was glad Apple made it so we could have it look like the familiar version.

Regardless, yay that you got your PDFs over in one move! :)

Good like on you Mail situation. Do let us know the outcome on that?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts