What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New on the site, Help please - email on Ipad2!!

Dibble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi to all, new on the site, expectations high :) !

I brought a 64Gb IP2 in the US and they set it up for my email account in the store. It's wi-fi only, not 3G (hope that is the right term to use) as I have Iphone4 and didn't see the point of carrying the IP2 around for i'net.

Anyway, it worked fine in my house in the UK off my home router (I think it asked me for the password etc for the router when I 1st used it), made a noise when new mail arrived (at least that's what I think it was) - all was well.

I work in Oman, so have brought it with me and we have wi-fi in the office and my Ipad picks up internet, yahoo, google, the UK newspapers etc etc and my yahoo mail (but only via the yahoo.com site) + all other i'net sites without problem.

However, I tried to send something via pages to my work email account, just experimenting with the whole thing really, but nothing happens. No error message and non delivery.

So, I check my email in settings and also try to reset my mail account in mail, contacts, calendars & after trying to verify it, it comes back with an error message "apple.impa.mail.yahoo.com" is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the "incoming Mail Server" field.

The primary server of the account is Yahoo!SMTP server and it's switched to on. The outgoing mail server is Yahoo!SMTP Server.

This is now the limit of my Ipad logic trail :(. Can anybody help me set up my yahoo account so it works and also so I can send pages please?

My email account here in Oman is [email protected] if anybody wants to send me info 1:1

Hopeful..
Dibble

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the famous Port 25 relay problem. You're using the legacy non-secure version of the SMTP protocols that used to send emails. At home you're OK because your service provider can 'guarantee' that it's really you trying to send the email. But the legacy SMTP - whose origins date back to the beginning of the Internet - does not require an account name or password. As a result, when you're away from home, your service provider cannot guarantee it's you who is trying to send the email from that account. There have been a number of high profile impersonation cases over the years, so most service providers don't allow the use of insecure SMTP away from home.

To overcome this, you need to check if your service provider also accepts the newer secure version of SMTP. When you set up the email account, as you enter the details for the SMTP send-side of the email, you'll see an option on the iPad for SSL - this is the secure login of the newer protocol. Tick that box and enter your account name (your email address) and your password (your email password). Below this there's a box for the 'port number'. Legacy SMTP uses port 25 (hence the name of the 'problem' I referred to earlier), SSL normally uses port 465 and the iPad usually prompts you with this.

Most Members who are trying to switch to SSL SMTP usually find it easier to set up the SSL account as an entirely separate new account initially, get it working, then delete the old account. The SSL account will work just fine at home too.

Let us know if you need a more detailed 'walkthrough' or if you encounter any problems. If your service provider doesn't support SSL, there are some workarounds too.

Tim

OP
D

Dibble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi & tks Tim. I'll give it a go today and see what happens. Either way I'll let you know via this site.

Tks again.
Dibble

OP
D

Dibble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

still won't have it, I've deleted the account now. Walkthrough and walkaround if not inconvenient pse.

tks

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Dibble said:
"apple.impa.mail.yahoo.com"

just checking, but is that a typo or is that what you actually have in the field?

imap not impa

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

OP
D

Dibble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

no it was imap - tks. Fingers getting carried away out of frustration. Starting to feel the Ipad is not a tool for me. Far too complex. I thought Windows Vista was a pain in the butt and didn't follow logic but this little swine..

Not given up yet, simply want to read em's, send em's (without having to log onto yahoo every time) and send docs created in pages via email as the tab in the app provides. Hence this post!!

Also, can't suss how to paste a document that has both text and pictures on the same page into pages, also can't suss how to copy a map from the google maps app onto a blank page in pictures or put it into my camera roll.

Am I asking too much from it?

One other thing, is there a method on this forum to be notified by em alert or something when I get a reply to a post rather than have it on all the time and keep an eye out for a reply?

tks,
Dibble

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get email alerts; go to 'User CP' (User Control Panel) and there you can set the options to be notified of a reply to a thread that you're subscribed to.

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dibble said:
also can't suss how to copy a map from the google maps app onto a blank page in pictures or put it into my camera roll.

With the map on the screen you should be able to press the home and on/off buttons at the same time, quickly, and it will take a screenshot which you will then find in your photo app!

The Archangel

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Dibble said:
Gabriel,

brilliant! tks. Just the email to go..

Dibble

Login via a web browser, then goto user cp, in the left hand column, click on edit options, then in the right hand column, scroll down to messaging and notifications, and then change default thread subscription mode

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

Most reactions