What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks Dictionary : How to change the order of dictionaries in iBooks

Nhanchis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I install some dictionaries for looking words up when reading books in iBooks.But when I look up a word, it's definitions are displayed in the fixed order. How can I change the order of dictionaries, for example, I will see the definition of the English-Chinese dictionary on top? Please help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As near as I can tell there is no way to re-order the dictionary results. They show up in the same order as the list of dictionaries you can download. The order you choose to download them does not seem to make a difference, and there is no way to re-order them after they've been downloaded.

In iOS 10 the Define feature is supposed to be replaced by a more general search (can't remember what it is called). It includes other results along with the Dictionary. Perhaps we'll get lucky and re-arrainging the results will be an option, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As near as I can tell there is no way to re-order the dictionary results. They show up in the same order as the list of dictionaries you can download. The order you choose to download them does not seem to make a difference, and there is no way to re-order them after they've been downloaded.

In iOS 10 the Define feature is supposed to be replaced by a more general search (can't remember what it is called). It includes other results along with the Dictionary. Perhaps we'll get lucky and re-arrainging the results will be an option, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
The define feature is replaced in iOS 10 by Look Up, which gives definitions, suggested websites, App Store recommendations, Wikipedia, etc.
IMG_0808.PNG
IMG_0809.PNG

Most reactions