What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ibooks crashes everytime after ios 5 update (ipad is jailbroken)

penanot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need to ask this... Why my iBook doesn't want to open the pdf files... I can't open all my lecture class notes... The iBook did not crash.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need to ask this... Why my iBook doesn't want to open the pdf files... I can't open all my lecture class notes... The iBook did not crash.

This fix is only temporary. It will not fix everything. Some things will not work.
Although, it said you couldn't download new books, but I did and it works fine.... Whatever....:)

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by penanot

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by graywolf

This fix is only temporary. It will not fix everything. Some things will not work.
Although, it said you couldn't download new books, but I did and it works fine.... Whatever....:)

It says that You need to open your books manually, but I've got all my books synced from iTunes just in the library, PDF-s too, and I can open them ...

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another one problem :-(. iBooks disappearing from "Open in..." context menu for .PDF files. Have to re-spring before opening each one - not a big problem :)
May be somebody can tell me how to "stick" application to file extension in IOS? Don't tell it's impossible.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another one problem :-(. iBooks disappearing from "Open in..." context menu for .PDF files. Have to re-spring before opening each one - not a big problem :)
May be somebody can tell me how to "stick" application to file extension in IOS? Don't tell it's impossible.

I don't think it is possible.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't think it is possible.

I think You are wrong. When we place iBooks.app in /Applications/ folder - we just make it as any system or Cydia app - those which we can't delete from springboard and which are started with root privileges. All apps register them as supporting file formats (IOS does it while re-spring). I've found a tutorial how to register application as supporting filetypes (it must be done in Info.plist file which we had to edit to make iBooks work). This piece of file is quite the same as for iFile, for example, but I think that changing only one value in this file is not the only thing to make iBooks to work properly and there must be some differences between system and installable apps - may be somewhere there must be some path or something similar to be corrected for proper work, but I have no documentation on this.
Anyway now opening PDFs is not my main problem (I know how to do it) - main problem is power consumption in sleep state - it is three to for times more than it was on 4.3.3 It is a big problem when I'm tethered.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
osutrooper said:
Not sure what I did, but iBooks doesn't will not open for me after jailbreak.

Do you have second iBooks shortcut (icon)? It may be white or "square-cornered"

Last edited:

osutrooper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not yet, I just jailbroke it and installed iBooks, I'll try that fix and see if it works this morning.

Stupid question, I don't own a pc, just a Mac, if I use my friends pc and use snowbreeze to jailbreak ,(since iBooks seems to work with that) if I needed to reboot my iPad, could I use redsnow and it work, or would I need to use snowbreeze againg?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not yet, I just jailbroke it and installed iBooks, I'll try that fix and see if it works this morning.

Stupid question, I don't own a pc, just a Mac, if I use my friends pc and use snowbreeze to jailbreak ,(since iBooks seems to work with that) if I needed to reboot my iPad, could I use redsnow and it work, or would I need to use snowbreeze againg?

I am not quite sure but I would say yes.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I've tried to JB with snowbreeze - had no success, so can't answer your question.

Most reactions

Latest posts