What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook vs Kindle

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that in depth response! I am now convinced--I want an iPad.

One last question :)

If you buy an app and later unregister the iPad you own and get another one, can I get that same app back for no charge?

ALSO:

Trying to decide on the 16 gb vs the 32 gb for the $100 more. Any thoughts on how helpful the extra 16 gb is.

Glad I found this forum.
The content you bought you have a right to and if it is only to be used on a certain free app, how could they prevent you from keeping an option to use it?

Actually the apps and ebooks and all that you get through iTunes is registered to your iTunes account that has no bearing on what device you have that uses iTunes now or in a foreseeable future. I'm pretty sure there will be other devices that will support iBooks. Now if they could allow us to have iBooks on a computer that would simplify things for us.
"Why make simple when you can make complicated"!:p

Oh, almost forgot, I have a 32GB That I can't fill, I still have 17GB free thanks to StreamToMe. Fork it up for a 16GB 3G instead.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to decide on the 16 gb vs the 32 gb for the $100 more.
Just to give you an Idea, I have a 16gb version and here is a picture of my disk usage --

ipad13.jpg

To give you an example, I have about 800 songs (some of which are entire symphonies so they are longer than an "average" song), 53 apps and over 500 photographs and I still have plenty of room. Books take up surprisingly little space.

The nice thing about iBooks and Kindle (and the B&N and Borders app), once you are done with a book, you can delete it off your iPad (thereby freeing up space), but since you paid for it, you can download it again as many times as you want since it stays in your "library" at Amazon or in the iBook store.

What takes up the most real estate in terms of disk usage are videos. An "average" full length feature film will be at least 1 - 1.5gb so it won't be long before you fill your drive with videos.

Last edited:

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that in depth response! I am now convinced--I want an iPad.

One last question :)

If you buy an app and later unregister the iPad you own and get another one, can I get that same app back for no charge?

ALSO:

Trying to decide on the 16 gb vs the 32 gb for the $100 more. Any thoughts on how helpful the extra 16 gb is.

Glad I found this forum.
The content you bought you have a right to and if it is only to be used on a certain free app, how could they prevent you from keeping an option to use it?

Actually the apps and ebooks and all that you get through iTunes is registered to your iTunes account that has no bearing on what device you have that uses iTunes now or in a foreseeable future. I'm pretty sure there will be other devices that will support iBooks. Now if they could allow us to have iBooks on a computer that would simplify things for us.
"Why make simple when you can make complicated"!:p

Oh, almost forgot, I have a 32GB That I can't fill, I still have 17GB free thanks to StreamToMe. Fork it up for a 16GB 3G instead.

It would seem like you should be glad that you have the 32GB. You have now used 15 GB, if you just had 16GB, you would only have 1 GB left.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I use dropbox to get the files I need on my ipad. I have the 32 GB but I don't use a lot. But I still am happy I have the 32 for the very occasional times I need it. When I travel I load up with videos for kids.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My twopenneth -

I like the iBook app more, but content and price on amazon is far better... Content is king, so I use Kindle i'm afraid.

OP
C

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After a few months of use now, I have to agree with most of the poster in this thread.

I still think iBooks is a better reader. Not sure why, I just like it better. But they do not keep up the content.

I now use both about equally. I check iBooks first, if the book is there, I buy it from iBooks. If not, I go to Kindle. I find more times than not that it will be on Kindle and not on iBooks. I have never found a book that is on iBooks and not on Kindle. Many are on neither.

But the advantage of iPad is I can use both and even the Nook if I want to.:D

imon32red

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even the way the pages turn for me was a better experience.

The Kindle was fine, but there were a few irritating things. I don't understand the location function at the bottom. It makes no sense to me. The table of contents do not have page numbers, so when I am planning my textbook reading, I have no idea how long it will take. Highlighting is a real pain, I keep turning the page instead of getting what I want highlighted.

I like the way the pages turn too, but most books that I want are not available for iBooks yet. I also publish ebooks and am more familiar with the Kindle system than iBooks. I still find the Kindle easy to navigate and great for reading.

If I could have it my way I would have the functionality of the iPad, with the e-ink for reading books like the Kindle. I really notice a difference with the e-ink on the eyes. Zero eyestrain versus tons on the iPad. However, I spend 10+ hours a day on my computer. If I didn't spend the day looking at a computer screen I could probably read a book on the iPad much easier. Hopefully, that day comes sooner or later.

What I am really interested in is the interactive books. I am in the process of trying to design one and make it functional. Of course this is a iPad only book, not available for Kindle.

yu12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like ibook better, it just feels right,,,, but the real downside is that it doesn't have as much as Kindle has, and I hope ibookstore can have more kinds and languages I can get,,, I'm reading english and chinese books, and all the chinese-written books are downloaded from other websites,,,,

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great information. I'm still trying to decide how to approach the e-reader dilemma. Almost got the Color Nook till I came to my senses and got the iPad. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avista

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my Nook for about 18 months. Just loved it until I dropped it and a car ran over it. (Long story) Now I have ordered the iPad2. Is there any reason why I should replace my Nook? I am very anxious to try the iPad as an e-reader.

Most reactions

Latest posts