What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I went to play with a new ipad.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to play with a new iPad today at my local pc world. I must say that I was quite disappointed. I was expecting massive things from the screen but to be honest it just seemed a tad better. I tried various things with an iPad 2 at the side of the new one. One of them being, zoom in on text in the web browser. The new iPad was clearer but not by a massive "holy **** I've got to get me one of these" difference.

Overall, its thicker than the iPad 2 but not really that noticeable, feels heavier but for me that's a good thing because it makes it feel more of a product and not cheap.
I tried the camera and to be fair it was ok, but again I wasn't blown away.

I'll probably buy one eventually to upgrade from my iPad 1 but not for a while. I'll wait to see what problems occur with the new one, if any.

Andy

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i hear ya andy and i agree i really don't see what everyone is talking about as far as the screen being so good. i still think my samsung GS2 screen looks better. sometimes it's not just about the numbers. but how good it looks to the human eye. jmo

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
Went to play with a new iPad today at my local pc world. I must say that I was quite disappointed. I was expecting massive things from the screen but to be honest it just seemed a tad better. I tried various things with an iPad 2 at the side of the new one. One of them being, zoom in on text in the web browser. The new iPad was clearer but not by a massive "holy **** I've got to get me one of these" difference.

Overall, its thicker than the iPad 2 but not really that noticeable, feels heavier but for me that's a good thing because it makes it feel more of a product and not cheap.

I'll probably buy one eventually to upgrade from my iPad 1 but not for a while. I'll wait to see what problems occur with the new one, if any.

Andy

You must have horrible vision.... Or you just looked at the wrong text.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
That's honest. I haven't tried one out yet, but must admit the screen does look sexy, but, I haven't physically used one yet. I haven't upgraded because my ipad2 is the beans for me. The upgrades wouldn't personally benefit me. Certainly not to the tune of a few hundred quid hole in my pocket.

I do need a new camera for sure, but shooting phots on the iPad is very strange and odd to me. Think I might purchase one of the new iPod touch's when they arrive

Suzyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the exact same experience. Trying to justify getting the new one, I have the original one also.

OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing is guys, I was all with the hype and was "in my head" definatley getting one as soon as I can. But after actually playing with one I'm now in no rush. I'll pick one up around July maybe if I've got some spare cash. Was quite disappointed.

I loaded up two identical hd vids from my YouTube page on the iPad 2 and new iPad. They looked as good as each other apart from the new iPad had nicer colors in the display.

Also, the screen difference between my old iPhone a d now my iPhone 4s is vast. The 4s is very sharp in comparison.

The new iPad v old iPad doesn't seem to have that massive difference.

Last edited:

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well if thiers one thing apple is good at. hyping things is one of them

OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
phonegeek said:
well if thiers one thing apple is good at. hyping things is one of them

Lol yeah, they are good at that. Apple are good at re releasing stuff that's been out years ago. Why we are only at 8 megapixels on iPhones is beyond me. I had a 12 megapixel Nokia a few years back lol.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
The thing is guys, I was all with the hype and was "in my head" definatley getting one as soon as I can. But after actually playing with one I'm now in no rush. I'll pick one up around July maybe if I've got some spare cash. Was quite disappointed.

I loaded up two identical hd vids from my YouTube page on the iPad 2 and new iPad. They looked as good as each other apart from the new iPad had nicer colors in the display.

Also, the screen difference between my old iPhone a d now my iPhone 4s is vast. The 4s is very sharp in comparison.

The new iPad v old iPad doesn't seem to have that massive difference.

Well I found one problem with your comparison......"YouTube" lol YouTube doesn't support the resolution of the new iPad. The best way to tell the difference in screen is to open up iBooks on both, and look at the text, zoom in if you want to then tell me that you can't see a difference.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Andy

You should have went to an apple store. There, they have a new iPad next to all computer models and mobile devices. I went with my GF on Sunday. We looked at the Air, the Pros, the iMacs, the iPods, etc...and finally she said...hey, the display on these iPads is much better than on all of these other screens...and if you look at those screens you could easily see the fuzzy text on their displays. But the iPad was crisp and sharp. I had to ask a sales person to be sure those were really the new iPad they had next to EVERY single device in the store! I wonder if they are doing that in every store across the US?

Last edited:

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
Lol yeah, they are good at that. Apple are good at re releasing stuff that's been out years ago. Why we are only at 8 megapixels on iPhones is beyond me. I had a 12 megapixel Nokia a few years back lol.

Yet you are still on this forum lol....... And apparently "rereleasing" things works for them. Hmmmmm let me see, they invented the iPod which changed the music industry, they came out with laptops and desktop that run beautifully, they started the tablet industry,why would apple have to change a product completely when it doesn't needed to be changed, be glad that hey at least upgrade the specs on these machines constantly improving them......this retina display is like no other, double RAM, 4.0 BT, quad GPU, better camera. What more do you want? A teleporter?

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Side by side everything's sharper and crisp. Everything is so much more vivid. It's like a mega contrast improvement. Anyone who can say " no big deal " after seeing side by side, one new ipad3 wallpaper at a time again ,side by side and don't get excited at the difference is simply experiencing some macular degeneration type issue. Seek an optometrist quickly Or just get corrective lenses . Then make your way to the nearest Apple store for the most amazing 9.7" display on earth. Can't get much better.

Last edited:
OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Daylife said:
Yet you are still on this forum lol....... And apparently "rereleasing" things works for them. Hmmmmm let me see, they invented the iPod which changed the music industry, they came out with laptops and desktop that run beautifully, they started the tablet industry,why would apple have to change a product completely when it doesn't needed to be changed, be glad that hey at least upgrade the specs on these machines constantly improving them......this retina display is like no other, double RAM, 4.0 BT, quad GPU, better camera. What more do you want? A teleporter?

Don't get me wrong, I love apple products. I just wish they gave us a more dare I say it "android" experience with all the apple bells and whistles. The iPad 3 is great and will sell millions and I'll probably buy one. But in reality they have just given an iPad 2 a new screen. The other things are not very good or useful. It has a better camera but I'd never take an iPad out to take photos because I own a dslr and an iPhone 4s. 4g in the uk doesn't exist yet and won't until maybe iPad 4. Also, it's still the same dual core processor with quad core gpu. Nothing too exciting. The guy in the shop tried to sell me a 4g and said it will run 3G in the uk. But at the moment I use my iPad one tethered to my iPhone for Internet so there is no need.

OP
A

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Daylife said:
. What more do you want? A teleporter?

Not much else to be honest. Drag and drop would be nice, USB connectivity? Maybe flash? True multitasking?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For all its advanced concepts, Apple is very conservative about most features. The iPad camera is recycled from the iPhone 4. Why? Because it works very well, and Apple can give a great experience without very many issues. The auto industry learned a long time ago, that there is a limit to how many new features can be introduced into a new car model. No matter the manufacturer, if you go past about 3-5% new content, the disatisfaction rate goes up exponentially. And the failure rate is much higher. It is only when they find a product that is destined to be a game changer, they support it before anyone else, and make sure it is bug free as possible. They were the first to drop serial and SCSI ports and go with USB. They dropped the floppy and went with CDs. Last year, they embraced ThunderPort, and now they are first with Bluetooth 4.0 support. The iPad was not new. The concept goes back decades. It is the implementation and timing that Apple is good about.

Most reactions

Latest posts