What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to print fom my iPad 2

piginaswamp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad for about 3 months and don't know how I did without it previously. I want to be able to print and need some help. I read about Printopia as a solution but I am a PC user so a eliminates that - I think? I also read there are new printers that are made to be set as an air printer but that requires another purchase. I am wireless at home and office and want to know if I can set up a current printer to print from e iPad. A litte help please.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Regarding your printing question, have a look here:-
http://www.ipadforums.net/airprint/51885-printing-ipad.html

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can print using your printer connected to a PC

'fingerprint' is a program for the pc. With the pc on and a connected printer you can then use the print function on the iPad. note that both pc and iPad must be on the same wifi connection. And it only costs about $7 !!!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello to the OP - welcome to the forum! :)

Just a second for FingerPrint - program resides on your computer connected to your printer; as stated both have to be on the same Wi-Fi network - information HERE at their website - a few trial is available. The program has worked fine at home w/ my Canon (non AirPrint) printer both before and after my 5.x iOS upgrade.

BTW - the link previously given is worth reading, if not already done - good luck and let us know your solution(s)!

sbillheimer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help...I want to print from my IPad 2 to cannon MG 5200

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
sbillheimer said:

Well, plenty of suggestions have already been offered - give one or more a try!

BTW, welcome to the forum - :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sbillheimer said:

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

As Giradman said have a look at the above posts and this will answer your question.
Have a look here :-http://www.ipadforums.net/airprint/51885-printing-ipad.html

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Last edited:

mr_president

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the printer is wireless it will pick it up and print

Sent from Mr_President's iPad using iPF. 32GB 3g

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the printer is wireless it will pick it up and print

Well, NOT true - the OP never mentioned which printer he/she owns and has not returned to this thread, so who knows what has been done?

To print w/o additonal effort from an iPad to a printer, the latter has to be AirPrint compatible - this is not known according to the OP?

More information is needed and also a response from the OP - this is a easy choice but depends on the type of printer owned - :)

OP
piginaswamp

piginaswamp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Fingerprint and was successful one time and one time only printing to HP8200 which is USB connected to the PC on which Fingerprint resides. I have not been successful beyond that first print. Since that time the iPad print function tells me it is sending the print job but nothing happens. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Fingerprint with no different results.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I downloaded Fingerprint and was successful one time and one time only printing to HP8200 which is USB connected to the PC on which Fingerprint resides. I have not been successful beyond that first print. Since that time the iPad print function tells me it is sending the print job but nothing happens. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Fingerprint with no different result

Hi Piginaswamp - glad to see you back responding to your OP! :)

Well, I'm assuming that you have the program installed on your computer, that your printer is wired to the computer, and that your iPad & computer are on the same Wi-Fi network - correct? If so and still not working, try a 'Restart' or 'Reset' of your iPad, and then give the program another try; if this does not work, then maybe you should contact Colobos (publisher of the FingerPrint app) for a possible solution; I've been impressed w/ this program, so not sure exactly what your problem may be? Please post back your results - this is a common question so may help others - thanks. Dave :)

Sorry that your are having trouble w/ FingerPrint - program has been working fine w/ me (and many others posting on this app) - good luck!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't fingerprint have to be opened on the computer and just sitting down the bottom too. Just a thought.

OP
piginaswamp

piginaswamp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the IPad and the PC are on the same wireless network. After rebooting the IPad I have now printed 3 documents so I will assume the problem is solved. I have to add though that I also changed the AVG firewall on my PC to make sure it knew that Fingerprint was OK. If I were more patient I would have reset the iPad and set the firewall in 2 steps to isolate the problem better but I did not. Alas, the story of my life. I notice also that on occasion the iPad seems to drop printers off the drop down list and I have to go out and come back or change the item to print to get all the printers to show back up. I am not sure what that is all about - probably operator error but for now all seems to work as advertised. Thanks for the help and the suggestion for Fingerprint. And yes, Fingerprint has to be open on the PC and it seems that I must have the appropriate printer highlighted in Fingerprint although I haven't tested that enough to be positive about at last statement.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Pig.... - seems that you may have solved your problem? Yes, the FingerPrint icon must be activated in you 'System Tray' in Windows - recently took my iPad to my son's house in Indiana and wanted to print out a few recipes that he loved his mother to make as a kid - these were entered into my Paprika app on my iPad - would not work, but the simple problem was that his FingerPrint icon was not activated, so just another necessity - please let us know your progress and whether further problems occur - good luck again! :)

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem with Fingerprint, resolved by turning off then turning on again my router, this was suggested by the developer.

Most reactions

Latest posts