What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disable Google Cloud Print?

Reaction score
I have been printing my gmails quite happily from my ipad air onto my wireless printer, until now. When I press Print on an email, all I get is Google Cloud print. There seems to be no way to print directly to my wireless printer. I use Chrome as my browser on my desktop, but have not set up Google Cloud for printing nor do I want to.

I just want to print from my ipad gmail again. My ipad and wireless printer are both on the same network. I can print to my wireless printer from other apps on my ipad, just not my gmail.

Thanks everyone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not going to be able to help much with this issue, but I have a couple of ideas/comments.

That would be up to the Gmail app and or the Chrome browser (depending on which you are using), and therefor Google. If there is a way to switch between it should be somewhere in Google's support.

If you set up Gmail in the native Mail app, you should be able to print to AirPrint printers (or other AirPrint enabling setups). Actually, that should be your only choice.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't disable Google Cloud print in the Gmail app, but there are workarounds.

When you want to print an email, there's also the option to save it to Google Drive. Select this, open Google Drive and look at the file now. At the top right, you can choose what to do (three dots in the app). Tap the dots and select Print. You'll get the choice to print using Google Cloud or Airprint.
image.jpg

Second possibility:
Open the email using Safari. With the content visible, you'll find a printer icon there. Tap it to use Airprint.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On a side note, I almost never print emails these days. I forward the important ones to my Evernote account. Later, when I do my routine cleanup of Evernote, I tag them and make sure they get in the right folders. I can even combine separate emails into a single note for easier reference.

It's all much easier to search than mail folders, and available to me wherever I have access to one of my mobile devices, or a computer with internet.

Yes, yes, I'm a bit of an Evernote nerd. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm not going to be able to help much with this issue, but I have a couple of ideas/comments.

That would be up to the Gmail app and or the Chrome browser (depending on which you are using), and therefor Google. If there is a way to switch between it should be somewhere in Google's support.

If you set up Gmail in the native Mail app, you should be able to print to AirPrint printers (or other AirPrint enabling setups). Actually, that should be your only choice.

Thank you for your reply. I AM using the gmail app. So I tried to print using the native mail app, and you are correct, I can see my printer. I might have to go back to using the native app. I can't see the point in continuing to use the gmail app now.

OP
T
Reaction score
You can't disable Google Cloud print in the Gmail app, but there are workarounds.

When you want to print an email, there's also the option to save it to Google Drive. Select this, open Google Drive and look at the file now. At the top right, you can choose what to do (three dots in the app). Tap the dots and select Print. You'll get the choice to print using Google Cloud or Airprint.
View attachment 59374

Second possibility:
Open the email using Safari. With the content visible, you'll find a printer icon there. Tap it to use Airprint.

Thank you for your reply JA. Using the gmail app, my options are: save to google drive or print to FedEx office. How the heck did FedEx get in there? I tried the save to google drive route (very reluctantly) and could see where it add printers. I don't really want to do this. I guess I just don't like change. Especially as I did not authorise it.

I also tried the open in safari route, which did work. Thanks.

Thanks for your input.

View attachment 59374

Second possibility:

OP
T
Reaction score
On a side note, I almost never print emails these days. I forward the important ones to my Evernote account. Later, when I do my routine cleanup of Evernote, I tag them and make sure they get in the right folders. I can even combine separate emails into a single note for easier reference.

It's all much easier to search than mail folders, and available to me wherever I have access to one of my mobile devices, or a computer with internet.

Yes, yes, I'm a bit of an Evernote nerd. :)

Me too! I love EN. I rarely print out emails either, but this one was for hubby who cannot turn a computer on.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I AM using the gmail app. So I tried to print using the native mail app, and you are correct, I can see my printer. I might have to go back to using the native app. I can't see the point in continuing to use the gmail app now.

It depends on whether you need/want the few extra things the Gmail app can do. Since they both access and update the same account and update immediately, you can actually keep using both. The only real downside is a bit more bandwidth use as Mail updates in the background, and the red badge on Mail not updating when you open the Gmail app. Both of those can be turned off in your Mail's settings; Fetch in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings, and the badge notification in Notification settings.

Me too! I love EN. I rarely print out emails either, but this one was for hubby who cannot turn a computer on.

Well, I suppose someone has to keep the tree farmers in business. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts