What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I rented a movie, viewed it on the Mini, and it's stuck in itunes on the Mac...

AustinJoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy iPad Forum,
I rented "Lost in Translation" (wonderful flick!) and wanted it on my mini along with 2 others. All downloaded fine, charged me, and played fine. The other 2 deleted themselves as expected, but "Lost..." seems to be stuck. It does not show up on the Mini, or any other i-devices, but in iTunes on my Mac it shows as ready to view (won't view - says it's locked on another device, ostensibly the mini). Right click has a delete option, but it's ignored. iTunes interrupts me once an hour to ask for the iTunes password, then tells me there are problems downloading "Lost..." Tried reconnecting the Mini, selecting "Manually manage music and videos" but the movie is not in the Videos app on the Mini.

So I'm a bit stuck. It's annoying getting this message from iTunes, but not a stopper. Any help would be appreciated!
AustinJoe

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Howdy iPad Forum,
I rented "Lost in Translation" (wonderful flick!) and wanted it on my mini along with 2 others. All downloaded fine, charged me, and played fine. The other 2 deleted themselves as expected, but "Lost..." seems to be stuck. It does not show up on the Mini, or any other i-devices, but in iTunes on my Mac it shows as ready to view (won't view - says it's locked on another device, ostensibly the mini). Right click has a delete option, but it's ignored. iTunes interrupts me once an hour to ask for the iTunes password, then tells me there are problems downloading "Lost..." Tried reconnecting the Mini, selecting "Manually manage music and videos" but the movie is not in the Videos app on the Mini.

So I'm a bit stuck. It's annoying getting this message from iTunes, but not a stopper. Any help would be appreciated!
AustinJoe

Hello, and welcome to iPF!

I found this in Apple Support Communities, hope it will help:

1st, make sure you are signed in on your computer under the Apple ID that purchased the movie.

2nd. Go into the summary page of your device on ITunes. Near the bottom you will see "options". In that section you will see "manually manage music and videos". Select that option.

3rd. Then go to the "On this Phone" click the RENTAL sub section under your device. This depends on the version of ITunes you are using.

4th. Right click the movie you want to delete. The popup box with the delete option should appear.

5th After it deletes (which will take quite a while) remember to go back into Options and uncheck the option for"manually manage music and videos".

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello Austin Joe,

Welcome to the forums. You will find that we are a very helpful bunch. *

I noticed that you asked this question a couple of days back in an old thread. It is important not to repeat a question in different threads as this can cause confusion. You should keep posts etc about a topic in one thread. So, I have deleted the first post, and have closed the old thread. i hope you will get some help in connection with your problem.

You are joining a great worldwide community.

Now, I suggest that one of the first things you do is to read the forum rules etc. *Links to useful sections follow :-
*The forum rules may be found here.
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

We have our own App which is easy to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
The iPad manual is here.
Apple - Support - Manuals

Try these informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html

Most importantly, enjoy your time with us on the forums.*

Then I recommend you use the forum search function to find threads to visit, read and ask questions there. *This way, you should get a good response. :)

Enjoy your membership.

Richard Brown
A member of the iPF moderators team

Last edited:
OP
A

AustinJoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still stuck on the iMac...

Hi J.A.,

Thanks for this. I had seen this sequence of instructions, but I think my issue is more complicated. In short, the movie is not on the iPad anymore. When I look for movies on the iPad the page is blank. I did watch the movie on the iPad and it appears to have deleted itself after the 24 hour viewing time successfully. However, not so much on the iMac.

On my iMac I can see the movie under the Movies - Rentals tab. It is the only one - the other two rented at the same time, moved to the ipad together, and watched on the same trip, deleted themselves from the ipad and iMac successfully. Only "Lost in Translation" is the odd one here. The Delete option simply is ignored. When it asks me if I want to play the movie and I click Yes, I am told it is "authorized to play on another computer or device." and won't play.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
AustinJoe

Hello, and welcome to iPF!

I found this in Apple Support Communities, hope it will help:

1st, make sure you are signed in on your computer under the Apple ID that purchased the movie.

2nd. Go into the summary page of your device on ITunes. Near the bottom you will see "options". In that section you will see "manually manage music and videos". Select that option.

3rd. Then go to the "On this Phone" click the RENTAL sub section under your device. This depends on the version of ITunes you are using.

4th. Right click the movie you want to delete. The popup box with the delete option should appear.

5th After it deletes (which will take quite a while) remember to go back into Options and uncheck the option for"manually manage music and videos".

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi J.A.,

Thanks for this. I had seen this sequence of instructions, but I think my issue is more complicated. In short, the movie is not on the iPad anymore. When I look for movies on the iPad the page is blank. I did watch the movie on the iPad and it appears to have deleted itself after the 24 hour viewing time successfully. However, not so much on the iMac.

On my iMac I can see the movie under the Movies - Rentals tab. It is the only one - the other two rented at the same time, moved to the ipad together, and watched on the same trip, deleted themselves from the ipad and iMac successfully. Only "Lost in Translation" is the odd one here. The Delete option simply is ignored. When it asks me if I want to play the movie and I click Yes, I am told it is "authorized to play on another computer or device." and won't play.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
AustinJoe

Sorry, I can't help you then. Perhaps someone else will know what to do.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts