What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I-pad 2 video recording with line level audio

audionly101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to record line level audio to the video camera on an I-Pad 2 using livestream. I am wanting to use this setup in my church to stream the services`

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is possible to input audio using either the audio jack or the Lightning jack. They tend to be self adjusting to a point, but if you want full control of the levels I recommend a small mixer between the source and iPad. There are several of these on the market.

Some of the better audio apps will let you adjust input levels in the app. An external mixer will give you more flexibilty, but this may be all you need.

Either of the ports will override the iPad's built in microphone, so any video recording/streaming app will automtically record/stream the external mic/source without any additional configuration.

OP
A

audionly101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im new to the forum and should have given more info on my issues. I am running lifestream on an I-Pad 2
and using the camera in video mode. I am feeding the I-Pad with a Allen & Heath QU-24 thru an auxiliary mix output thru a XLR with the I-Pad 3.5mm connector at +4 line level. I cannot get the on board microphone to turn off so the line input feeds the stream. There is no audio recorded but the video is recorded. If I unplug the cable the on board microphone will record audio. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm no expert on this, so if what I say next has already been checked, then sorry.

First, since the online microphone does not record when the headphone jack is plugged in, the audio has probably already been switched. Otherwise you'd still get an audio recording, the built in mic. (Hold in mind that if you have audio sorces plugged in for both the headphone and the 30-pin port, the 30-pin port will take precidence.)

What I would check:

If possible, plug the mixer output into another recording device or audio receiver, to make sure the signal is there. Alternately, plug in a different mic/input to the iPad and see if it works. Using a set of iPhone earbuds (or other other headset with a mic) would be the easiest way to test the iPad's input.

Eliminating one or the other should help issolate the problem.

Make sure the headphone jack is a four conductor jack, and that the forth ring, closest to the base) is the mic/mixer input. It is fairly easy to mix and match 2,3, and 4 conductor jacks and end up with nothing.

I'm not familiear with the Lifestream app, but check to see if it also has input level controls, and adjust them accordingly.

You sound like you know what you are doing, so I doubt this was much help, but maybe it will jog something else loose. Good luck.

OP
A

audionly101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your response and I have checked all the suggestions you put forth. Also the 4 pin jack is wired to the proper pins and I suspect its the 3.5mm jack. I am going to try the Alesis I/o dock to access the 30 pin connector. Thank you again

Most reactions