What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help emergency anybody!!

dropdead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hen I plug in my iPad2 it won't charge instead it says not charging, what's wrong with it and what can I do to make it charge? I'm freaking out. If you have any tips or know how to fix this please I say again please help me..

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't charge the iPad on your computer. If you're trying to do that, that's the problem.

Also, Try:

Checking the connection between the USB and plug
Plugging directly into the wall
Turning the iPad off then on again
Making sure you're using the iPad plug. Not the one for another iDevice. Shouldn't matter (they all work with each other. They'll just charge faster or slower depending on the plug/device) but you never know.

OP
D

dropdead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not trying to charge from my computer, I'm trying to charge from an iPad adapter' I've also turned off and reset it :(
Any other suggestions?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Typically it's a problem with the source.

If you're plugging the USB end into a PC or older Mac, iPhone charger, typical cell phone USB AC adapter, this will result. But....fear not! Even THEN it IS charging, but at a much slower rate. This has been acknowledged by Apple and most folks are now aware of it. If you've no other option and probably won't use the iPad at night, go ahead and plug it into one of those things and it WILL charge. By the morning it should be close to, of not fully, charged (make sure the computer doesn't go into "sleep" mode or shut down on its own after a while of non-use, as this will cut all the power).

For proper rate charging, you will need a USB AC adapter that is capable of 10 amps output. MacAlly makes a great slim dual-USB port wall AC adapter that's small and folds up for easy carrying which supports iPad charging simultaneously with another USB item. And its cheap. That's just one example. Sosche is another good brand. There are many out there. Ditto for DC (car) adapters. Just make sure the specs for the one you're considering specifically states it will charge an iPad.

If for some reason your iPad won't charge at a proper rate from a 10 amp USB adapter, try a different iPad charge/sync cable as well. They're cheap and easy to find, especially on line or at Fry's.

If you're near an Apple Store or any other store that sells iPads, for that matter, take yours in there and plug it into a known good cable and adapter from one of the display units or something. That's a good test.

If all else fails, there is the slim chance that your batteries in the iPad or the charging circuit is suspect. In that case, the folks at Apple WILL help you.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dropdead said:
I'm not trying to charge from my computer, I'm trying to charge from an iPad adapter' I've also turned off and reset it :(
Any other suggestions?

Okay this reply of yours came in before I finished my post.

Try a different cable with your adapter. Then try a different 10 amp adapter. If no go, at least plug it into SOMETHING and leave it alone overnight. It WILL charge. That way the battery doesn't drain completely, which is not something you want to do to a Ni-MH battery (each time you drain it completely, its life expectancy shortens). If it doesn't charge at all or dies out while even on the slow charge rate, something is indeed wrong with the iPad. Then go somewhere that has known good iPad chargers and cables and check it there.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
D

dropdead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I'll try to get another ac adapter as well as USB cable and hopefully it works. If not I'm pretty much screwed.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dropdead said:
Thanks for the help I'll try to get another ac adapter as well as USB cable and hopefully it works. If not I'm pretty much screwed.

Well, for now, try leaving it connected to your current setup for a few hours and see if you can notice any bit of improvement in the battery gauge later on. If so, that's a good sign meaning it IS taking a charge and it's possible the AC adapter and/or cable isn't doing as it should. Now would be a good time to plug it into your PC and let it do a full backup of the iPad. Some backups take a long while so that's perfect. This way if you HAVE to take it to an Apple Store and they confirm your problem, they can replace the iPad with a new one there and then, after which you can do a full restore at home.

Oh, BTW, this isn't a jail broken iPad, is it?

OP
D

dropdead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it isn't a jail broken iPad. Do you happen to know of a jailbreak for the iPad 2 iSO 5?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dropdead said:
No it isn't a jail broken iPad. Do you happen to know of a jailbreak for the iPad 2 iSO 5?

No, I do not. I'm not into that stuff. I just know jailbreaking DOES present issues with the hardware in some cases.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I answered this question when you cross posted it on another section of the forum.

On most forums I belong to cross posting is considered a breach of forum rules and is frowned upon. At the very least it shows no consideration by the poster for people who will try to help.

OP
D

dropdead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like I said it isn't jail broken, I don't even know how to do hardly anything with the iPad I'm a new user.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like your duplicate post has been deleted. That's a shame you won't every see the answer to your problem that I posted there. :(

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pommier said:
The iPad 2 has a lithium-ion battery.

Yeah I know...brain fart when I was typing.

Most reactions