What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I HATE Apps That Dont.....

jamescary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's actually part of the UI guidelines that they rotate, if practical. I know of a few that don't, but I don't think they'd work as well if they did either.

James
Check out my apps

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 apps that are portrait only and really, it doesn't bother me at all. Its like the Speedo theory that says just because a Speedo comes in your size doesn't mean you have to wear one! And just because an iPad can change from portrait to landscape doesn't mean your app has to!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But what I hate even more than apps that don't rotate are people that delete images from their Photobucket albums then don't got back and edit their signature! What's up with that?

photobucket.jpg

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't necessarily hate apps that do not rotate. . . .
as long as they DO operate in landscape mode

Apps that don't rotate do feel like shoddy, or incomplete programming, to me.
and often they are really iPhone apps that CAN run on my iPad.
(usually in grainy, doubled resolution.)

• Unless I feel I just MUST have the capability of a non-rotating app, and cannot find another to fill that need, I will not purchase, or install it.
  • I find I avoid using apps that I do have, that do not rotate.
  • I know it lowers the ratings I give those apps.
I don't know whether that might matter to app devs, or not.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe its me (actually I am pretty sure it is me), but I don't understand why it is so bloody important that an app rotate? As long as the app does what I want it to do, its really not that hard at all to rotate the iPad itself rather than expect the app to rotate.

As a matter of fact, now that you mention it, while some apps look great in portrait mode, they do not translate as well in landscape mode. Some apps that do rotate probably shouldn't!

I know, at least I have a choice in which way I hold my iPad and I am not forced to hold it one way or the other. Bitch, bitch, bitch! Some people would complain if they were hanged with a new rope!

I need more coffee...

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, it's problematic, especially when have to hold iPad upright cause it's charging, and I'm laying on my bed, I have to put it on a angle with the corner of my iPad digging in my chest!

Anyway, I play chess a lot, the chess.com don't rotate, I know a few Facebook and Twitter apps that don't, few games, like Tetris don't..

But it's not that big of a deal anymore, the main one that I really HATED is the chess.com app..but just yest. I got a new app FICS app and THAT rotates!:D

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, a website like chess.com shouldn't have to be programmed to rotate...it's a web app and they probably didn't think that the majority of their customers would be using it on a device that can rotate (which, btw is only the iPad).

And for those apps that annoy you, use that lock switch to your advantage. Lock it in the orientation you want it. That's what it's there for! I use it for the opposite...the apps rotate when I don't want them to, so I lock them in place!

Seanile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an attached keyboard and need everything to go horizontal. Apps that don't.... Forget them.

Most reactions

Latest posts