What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I dropped my ipad

Kusdiansah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just I month using my iPad,, I dropped it and it has a visible dent on the top right corner,, I feel so sad cause I love my iPad so bad,, no functional damage so far, but I really want to get rid of that dent.. Any suggestion please? Can I repair it? Or replace it? Is there any aluminium bumper that I can use to cover my iPad?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about dropping your iPad. I think that must be everybody's worse nightmare.

I am moving this to general discussions. You have currently posted within our Special Needs Forum for members/families that have physical and cognitive impairments and use their iPads for quality of life purposes.

Meanwhile, I will provide a link for you to review. You will need to read both Mickey330 and Leelai's posts at the end to gather the appropriate info.

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store - Page 55

Good luck!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. I have to say, however, that this is the exact reason I sprung for apple care + for $99 for two year coverage and two incidents. It is just too easy to drop a mobile device like an iPad and its weight, unlike a phone, is likely to result in damage. The other choice is square trade, which is less expensive, but would take a bit more effort to use when an accident happens, if you don't live near an apple store. The a warranty you don't need to worry. I typically don't buy extended warranties, however, so this is an exception for me. Best.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd put a case over it, call yourself lucky that it still works fine, and move on.

I dropped my iPad 1 on a tiled floor (over concrete) ages ago and dented a corner. No other sign of damage, works fine, and the only time I remember the dent is when I see such posts, lol.

I don't buy extended warranties, because I don't drop and break all my gadgets. Even if I dropped and broke a couple, I'd still come out ahead moneywise by not having bought any extended warranties at all.

That said, I've dropped my iPad 1 and 2 repeatedly onto carpet, dropped my Samsung Galaxy Note onto a wooden bench, and had someone drop my iPhone 4 onto a glass tabletop while looking at photos, and no harm, no foul. And all my gadgets wear are one-piece TPU backs with no front cover or screen protectors.

I did smash my iPhone 4 later, when it slid off a slightly inclined TV screen on my bathroom vanity as I rinsed off the TPU backing, as it happens. Apple replaced it for free, without any kind of AppleCare. That was mighty generous, I figured.

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely gotta do the warrantee. padded Brookstone cover ... drooped it ... screen cracked ... still usable ... but soon ... many many dollars.

Reaction score
I Have an insurance that if you break your iPad you can turn it in and they will give you a new iPad within 2 days. But this costs A LOT of money! And I think you might have to get the insurance when you buy the iPad, or you can take it to the nearest apple store and I'm sure they can fix it for you.

arvirz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amy Rose The Hedgehog said:
I Have an insurance that if you break your iPad you can turn it in and they will give you a new iPad within 2 days. But this costs A LOT of money! And I think you might have to get the insurance when you buy the iPad, or you can take it to the nearest apple store and I'm sure they can fix it for you.

Say approx price of insurance cost?

Reaction score
arvirz said:
Wer can i get te insurance???

Uh I'm not sure, my parents got it when they got the iPad, but I think probably the apple store. I'll have to ask them later because they're busy right now.

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a good case is the best insurance. I have the stiff neoprene one from Apple. It gets dirty, but cleans up with a damp cloth.

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google couldn't find Phone Dai .who are they ... What's the link to their page? Thx..

Merely the observations of an observer

Sissy526

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for the warranty! I never used to buy them, but then I had a well-paying job and could replace or repair with no pain. There weren't any tiny hands around to grab things and drop them and I held onto stuff pretty good myself. Things changed. This year alone, I have dropped an Android tablet on a tile floor and completely cracked the screen, within two weeks of buying it. Protection plan, replacement at no additional charge. Dropped my Android phone on the ground at the zoo, no damage except a small dent on the top of the case, which I can ignore since I now only use it to make phone calls and text message. (Thanks, iPad!) Then the big one! My grandson was holding my recently-purchased-direct-from-Apple-refurbished-64GB iPad 2 and the Smart Cover slid off, the whole thing slid out of his hands and the screen got scratched rather deeply in a couple of places. I have the accident protection plan, went to the Apple Store, and the device was replaced under my regular warranty at no cost and I still have the two accident incidents left to use, if needed.

If you can live with it or you hate spending the extra money on the protection plan (or don't have the money), it's understandable that you wouldn't buy the plan. But, it's a personal decision IMHO, and I wouldn't be without the protection plan at this time in my life. Yes, it's an extra $99 from Apple (a little less with Squaretrade) but it beats living with damage that you hate looking at or being without a fairly expensive device completely because you can't afford to replace it at the moment.

BTW, I now have the Moshi iVisor XT (clear) as a screen protector and the M-Edge Super Shell case. My 2-1/2-year-old grandson still has iPad privileges and I have peace of mind. Both accessories actually add to my enjoyment using the iPad because of the peace of mind, but I would still buy the protection plan.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for the warranty! I never used to buy them, but then I had a well-paying job and could replace or repair with no pain. There weren't any tiny hands around to grab things and drop them and I held onto stuff pretty good myself. Things changed. This year alone, I have dropped an Android tablet on a tile floor and completely cracked the screen, within two weeks of buying it. Protection plan, replacement at no additional charge. Dropped my Android phone on the ground at the zoo, no damage except a small dent on the top of the case, which I can ignore since I now only use it to make phone calls and text message. (Thanks, iPad!) Then the big one! My grandson was holding my recently-purchased-direct-from-Apple-refurbished-64GB iPad 2 and the Smart Cover slid off, the whole thing slid out of his hands and the screen got scratched rather deeply in a couple of places. I have the accident protection plan, went to the Apple Store, and the device was replaced under my regular warranty at no cost and I still have the two accident incidents left to use, if needed.

So, it's a personal decision but, IMHO, I wouldn't be without the protection plan at this time in my life. Yes, it's an extra $99 from Apple, a little less with Squaretrade, but it beats living with damage that you hate looking at or being without a fairly expensive device completely because you can't afford to replace it at the moment.

True. Diff priories. If I let little people touch my gadgets, I'd probably be more interested in extended coverage. No little people are getting their hands on my devices, though, lol.

And it's true that people with limited resources end up paying more in general, like with more pressure to buy extended coverage, because they might not be able to afford replacements on their own.

Most reactions