What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't want a new O/S for my iPad

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's it. I don't want a new O/S for my iPad! I am quite happy with the one I have. 2018 and I might think about an upgrade but I don't need one now and I don't want one now! Furthermore, I don't see why Apple should be trying to force it on me.

Truth is, they do this too often for it to be necessary. Every couple of weeks they want to take over my iPad for half an hour and use 1.5 GB of my monthly data allowance to do something which never makes any apparent change. If someone else was paying for my data I would just let it go, but no one else is, I AM!

How do I get rid of this persistent prompt to upgrade?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not possible. The only way to get rid of it, would be disabling Wi-Fi, which means you can't use Safari, iMessages, iCloud,... just as an example.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's it. I don't want a new O/S for my iPad! I am quite happy with the one I have. 2018 and I might think about an upgrade but I don't need one now and I don't want one now! Furthermore, I don't see why Apple should be trying to force it on me.

Truth is, they do this too often for it to be necessary. Every couple of weeks they want to take over my iPad for half an hour and use 1.5 GB of my monthly data allowance to do something which never makes any apparent change. If someone else was paying for my data I would just let it go, but no one else is, I AM!

How do I get rid of this persistent prompt to upgrade?
Do you have a monthly data allowance on WiFi? iOS updates are only done over WiFi and can't use your cellular data allowance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that most of the minor updates contain security patches. Even if you don't care about the features, falling too far behind securithy in this day and age is risky. Not a huge gamble for you, as an individual, but a big enough overall risk that Apple is unwilling to be held accountable for 'not' making timely updates, or being accused of being a security risk because users don't bother to update (like lots of Android users and phone manufactures).

That's only one reason, of course, but it's a solid one that is hard to argue with.

If you've got a local library or other free (and reasonable fast) wi-fi hot spot, the minor patches rarely take more than 30 minutes. You can test a wi-fi hotspot's speed with Ookla's SpeedTest app.

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that most of the minor updates contain security patches.

Hi twerppoet

Minor updates for security purposes - that would be very hard to argue with. Downloading the entire operating system once a fortnight, however, ... that has to be overkill! Why can't Apple offer optional upgrades of security patches? It is, after all, only good manners!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet

Minor updates for security purposes - that would be very hard to argue with. Downloading the entire operating system once a fortnight, however, ... that has to be overkill! Why can't Apple offer optional upgrades of security patches? It is, after all, only good manners!

You don't download the entire operating system for each update. Only the big yearly updates typically require a full download. Even then they are rarely 100% replacements. The downloads tend to be smaller if you use the OTA (Over The Air) updates instead of the iTunes and computer method.

The entire iOS operating system is over 3.5 GB (last time I checked).

The iOS 10.2 update ranged from 80 to 400 MB, depending on the device. I expect the newest iPads and iPhones are at the top end of that; the older ones less because they get fewer of the features. This was a average sort of update, size wise anyway.

Note: Since update files are compressed, you probably won't ever see a 3.5GB update download. At least not until iOS starts weighing in over 10GB. Something that 'probably' won't happen for several years, and won't matter much since both internet speed and storage will have also increased. (and hopefully data prices will have gone down).

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet

OK - with all of your rants and bolded type (analogous to screaming like all UPPER CASE), are you a troll here just to be annoying? This forum has nothing to do w/ Apple, so your complaints are not being registered by them - we are users and not employees - I hope that you already knew that?

Also, a 'fortnight' is just 2 weeks - I've been on iPads since 2011 and don't remember having to do upgrades/updates at that frequency, an over exaggeration in my mind to say the least. NOW, I may be completely wrong about your intentions, but your attitude is rather irritating - you've received some excellent responses from several of our best members and continue to 'bitch' - I suggest that you sell your iDevice and look for a different company - Dave :)

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - with all of your rants and bolded type (analogous to screaming like all UPPER CASE), are you a troll here just to be annoying? This forum has nothing to do w/ Apple, so your complaints are not being registered by them - we are users and not employees - I hope that you already knew that?

Sorry to disturb your cloistered existence, Dave, but I have never considered emphasis to be ranting or screaming. Furthermore, I would be highly surprised if Apple do not keep a benevolent eye on this forum for the purpose of seeing what people say about them.

Finally, it is an old mechanical maxim that you don't fix things that work! I am happy with my iPad and its O/S. I am happy with the software I have and use. I see no need for frequent updates. If there is something I find annoying it is software companies forever updating their products so that when you start their software you have to learn how to use it again. Skype for iPad is a classic at that one. It doesn't work any better now than it did when I got it years ago, and I don't know how many changes they have made to the interface.

I hope the person from Apple who is reading this puts forward the suggestion that updates are made optional.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to disturb your cloistered existence, Dave, but I have never considered emphasis to be ranting or screaming. Furthermore, I would be highly surprised if Apple do not keep a benevolent eye on this forum for the purpose of seeing what people say about them.

Finally, it is an old mechanical maxim that you don't fix things that work! I am happy with my iPad and its O/S. I am happy with the software I have and use. I see no need for frequent updates. If there is something I find annoying it is software companies forever updating their products so that when you start their software you have to learn how to use it again. Skype for iPad is a classic at that one. It doesn't work any better now than it did when I got it years ago, and I don't know how many changes they have made to the interface.

I hope the person from Apple who is reading this puts forward the suggestion that updates are made optional.
iOS updates have always been optional. You don't have to update and Apple is not going to update your iPad without your permission. The most that will happen is that the update will download but it can be deleted without installing it. You will have to live with that annoying update button on the settings app, though.

While I agree that you don't fix things that aren't broken you do innovate and improve.

The main reason that all updates are offered to everybody is that Apple wants to avoid the problems of Android, with multiple versions in use at one time. Apple would like as many people as possible on the latest version of the operating system. It simplifies things for them as well as the app developers who don't have to write multiple versions of every app they release.

BTW, Apple does not read these forums so anything you say here will not come to Apple's attention.

zohaali146

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nowadays, everyone is forcing updates, i remembered, when whatsap's new version arived recently, i was too keen not to update to it, yet i ended up doing it because the notification to upgrade keep popping up whenever i opened my whatsap

Kisom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a monthly data allowance on WiFi? iOS updates are only done over WiFi and can't use your cellular data allowance.
I just updated to 10.5 and now my apps keep closing down on me. I do not like this one! Any ideas how to fix this?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums!

The latest software version for iPad 4 and later is 10.2.

If your apps misbehave, force close them:
Double tap the Home button to show the App Switcher. Then slide the thumbnails below the app icons towards the top of the screen.

Another option would be to force start (reset) your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it appears, let go of both buttons. Your device will power up on it's own.

Did you update over the air, or via iTunes? If you installed the update via Settings - General - Software Update on your iPad, connect it to iTunes (make sure computer and iTunes are up to date) and restore it.

Hope that helps.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Reading through this thread make me regret starting one on a similar subject. I can see both side of this as I share similar frustrations as the OP. For me, I'm liking IOS 9- it's works well and I have no need to change that. However, about the security patches, how different do you think it is between IOS 9 and 10? I'm planing to stay 1 full OS behind so to never get left out of app support and get a more polished OS when I do update. Also that will skip all the micro updates between, at least unless I'm convinced otherwise about security?

Like the OP I assum, wifi can use up cellular data when you use a hotspot for you connection like I do FYI.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Reading through this thread make me regret starting one on a similar subject. I can see both side of this as I share similar frustrations as the OP. For me, I'm liking IOS 9- it's works well and I have no need to change that. However, about the security patches, how different do you think it is between IOS 9 and 10? I'm planing to stay 1 full OS behind so to never get left out of app support and get a more polished OS when I do update. Also that will skip all the micro updates between, at least unless I'm convinced otherwise about security?

Like the OP I assum, wifi can use up cellular data when you use a hotspot for you connection like I do FYI.

The importance of a paticular security update is difficult to judge. You almost never know how vital a security hole is until it's been used in the wild, and that is always too late for someone.

Security companies rate known vulnerabilties by their potential to compromise a system, not thier practical application or any actual damage caused. They also have a tendency to be slightly alarmist (most make their money off of security software).

That said, Apple apparrently patched several vulerabilities that were considered high risk in 10.2. That's pretty common with the point updates.

You can achieve pretty much the same iOS version stability by waiting for a couple of point updates after a the initial update. Like 10.1 or even 10.2. This gives the developers that intend to continue supporting their apps plenty of time to do so. It might even be better for security too, since it gives Apple a chance to fix the more obvious bugs and security issues that might have been introduced with the new iOS version.

When on Wi-Fi you should not be using any significan amount of cellular data; unless you have Wi-Fi assist turned on under Settings > Cellular. In that case you might us some, or even a lot, of cellular data. It depends on how reliable your Wi-Fi signal is.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While I'm obviously in favor of keeping your OS updated, on a reasonable schedule, I ran accross an article today that provides a non-jailbreak solution to keep updates from happing. It involves a bit of trust, since you'll be installing a profile from a site, but this particual source looks to be reliable.

I am not endorsing this. I have no reason to trust the method other than the apparent legitmacy of the site and article involved; so you do this entirely at your own risk, and preferably after some investigation.

You should never install anything on your iPad unless you fully trust the source.

I hadn't considered using profiles, which are normally only available to business and education registered iPads; but it makes perfect sense that they can do this. Both businesses and education have legitimate reasons to keep their iPads from being updated automatically, or at the users' whim.

How To Disable iOS OTA Upgrade on iPhone and iPad without Jailbreaking

Most reactions