What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hue iOS-Controlled Light bulb System Goes Onsale in Apple Stores

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
9153-hue.JPG

AppleInsider reports that the new Philips hue light bulb system will be onsale, in Apple Stores exclusively, from Tuesday. The hue starter pack costs $199, and contains three 600-lumen bulbs and a hue bridge, which is used to connect the bulbs to your home network. Each of the bulbs uses 80% less juice than a regular light bulb, despite giving off the equivalent light to a 500-watt bulb. Bulbs can be purchased individually for $59. People who install hue in their house can use an iOS app to remotely control their lighting via their iPhone or iPad, even adding their own timers and settings. The bulbs are claimed by Philips to be upgradeable and future-proof, as it is possible to download new features for the bulbs.

"Philips hue is a game-changer in lighting – a completely new way to experience and interact with light," said Jeroen de Waal, head of marketing and strategy at Philips Lighting. "In the way phones, media and entertainment have been revolutionized by digital technology, now we can also personalize light and enjoy limitless applications.

"Philips continues to redefine the possibilities of LED technology, and hue pushes the boundaries even more, not only in offering great light quality, but in how lighting can be digitized and integrated with our world to further simplify and enhance our lives."

Source: Philips hue app-controlled lightbulbs debut exclusively at Apple stores

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bulbs uses 80% less juice than a regular light bulb, despite giving off the equivalent light to a 500-watt bulb

Sounds exciting, but in fact 600 lumens is eqivalent only to 50 watts--pretty dim.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Normal lightbulb £1
Remote control infrared light switch £25
L5 remote for iPad £14.99

Similar set up without the hefty $200 price tag. Nice idea though. I love all this new tech you can control with your iPad. I never thought there will be a day when you have to download updates for your light bulbs though. What a mad world we live in!?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
therealriley said:
Normal lightbulb £1
Remote control infrared light switch £25
L5 remote for iPad £14.99

Similar set up without the hefty $200 price tag. Nice idea though. I love all this new tech you can control with your iPad. I never thought there will be a day when you have to download updates for your light bulbs though. What a mad world we live in!?

This is my solution, Belkin Wemo and ordinary (low energy) bulbs in lamps......

image-1915284715.jpg

I can switch them on or off from anywhere in the world where I can get a wifi or 3G connection or set ITTT rules and let them control themselves!

The Archangel

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts