What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HP Photosmart D110a

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Last Sunday, 7.18.10, I picked up the new HP D110a printer. [FONT=&quot]http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/Photosmart/1/storefronts/CN731A%2523B1Hhttp://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/Photosmart/1/storefronts/CN731A%23B1H[/FONT] These are the first wave of HP printers with the “ePrint” technology. We seldom have any need to print from our iPads, but were needing a new printer anyway, so why not.

The ePrint technology is simple. The printer is wireless, works on the network like any other modern network printer. It also connects through your router to the Internet. It connects through the internet to a server at HP. Your printer is given an email address (that can be changed anytime) that is used to sent print jobs. You can leave the printer open to receive print jobs from any email address, or restrict it to only receiving print jobs from a user defined list of email addresses.

So to print a MS Office file, PDF, txt file, photo ….etc… you simply attach it to an email, and send that email to your printer. It does not matter if you are in the same room, or halfway around the world. It does not matter if you are sending from a smartphone, desktop, laptop, iPad…. Any device that can send an email, can print to this printer. Of course your desktop/home computers can connect as any “normal” network printer can.

Even though HP just got the server up on Thursday (7.15.10), it seems to be working well. I did have to re-boot the printer once, never figured out why, but it worked perfect again after the re-boot. Formatting, and such of your docs is exactly the same. There is no difference between the file being sent from a Palm Pre, iPhone, iPad or a desktop. Wife printed a file from her desktop at work, perfect.

I know from reading reviews of the other print options on the iPad that they have a lot of problems. This method does not. I really like that you don’t have to worry about drivers, compatibility…etc. I can be at my daughters 50 miles away, and print just like I was sitting my my living room. Combined with Dropbox you can set at any connected computer and print to your home printer any Documents on the cloud.

The printer is nothing special, other than the ePrint ability. At $99 at Best Buy, it is an average price for its type (it is multi-function – copy, scan, print…etc). But as you can tell by now, I am very pleased with it. Prints fast, looks good, and prints from anywhere or any email device.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had bad experiences with HP printers. For instance, leaving the printer on standby dries the ink, so that when a print job comes in, it doesn't print correctly and you have to redo it after a cleaning cycle. And even though a printer is cheap the price of the cartridges needed to refill is more than its original price.

Of course it can be that they've improved their products since then but I'd hate to be a guinea pig again.

I'm looking forward to see other manufacturers jump in the fray.

Keep us updated Bremen.

OP
Bremen

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I've had bad experiences with HP printers. For instance, leaving the printer on standby dries the ink, so that when a print job comes in, it doesn't print correctly and you have to redo it after a cleaning cycle. And even though a printer is cheap the price of the cartridges needed to refill is more than its original price.

Of course it can be that they've improved their products since then but I'd hate to be a guinea pig again.

Keep us updated Bremen.

I am not a fan of HP ether, usually buy Canon... but needed a printer, and this had the features....etc.... and yes, cartridge cost is very important. The last Canon we owned would hit us for $23 every time for a black cart! We don't use the color ones, so just leave them in forever and print "gray-scale".... anyway, checked before I bought this one... black cart is $12.99 in Best Buy store, and $14.99 at HP site, Staples, Wal-mart...etc. That is for the 200 page cart. There is a 600 page cart for about double that price. Not what I would call "cheap" but actually on the low side compared to others.....

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Review Bremen

Keep us updated Bremen.

I am not a fan of HP ether, usually buy Canon... but needed a printer, and this had the features....etc.... and yes, cartridge cost is very important. The last Canon we owned would hit us for $23 every time for a black cart! We don't use the color ones, so just leave them in forever and print "gray-scale".... anyway, checked before I bought this one... black cart is $12.99 in Best Buy store, and $14.99 at HP site, Staples, Wal-mart...etc. That is for the 200 page cart. There is a 600 page cart for about double that price. Not what I would call "cheap" but actually on the low side compared to others.....

I was very interested in this as an aux printer when I saw them announced a month ago.

Can you print directly to the printer over wifi from the iPad when you are near it? I want a printer I can dump in the trunk of my car for printing while out and away from any office.

I use lasers for all the rest of my printing so ink jets are something I would never consider for routine printing.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pretty cool! Too bad I just bought a new printer about 3-4 months ago. My next printer will definitely have this.

OP
Bremen

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

Keep us updated Bremen.

I was very interested in this as an aux printer when I saw them announced a month ago.

Can you print directly to the printer over wifi from the iPad when you are near it? I want a printer I can dump in the trunk of my car for printing while out and away from any office.

I use lasers for all the rest of my printing so ink jets are something I would never consider for routine printing.

First off there will be laser versions of this "ePrint" technology, this little printer is just the first one released..... As far as printing directly to the printer over WIFI from the iPad.... not sure what you mean..... It really prints the same if you are near or far, makes no real difference.... I simple attach a (for example) Word file to an email, and send to the printer.... and it prints.... It can be a photo (of course I have to have the right paper loaded) MS doc, PDF...etc.....

It prints "directly" in the sense that I do not send it to a desktop. But "technically" not so because it goes through the HP server because of the email address. Hope I didn't confuse the issue any further.... :p

Also, I checked when out and about and yes, my tethered WIFI iPad can print from anywhere.....

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess there's no way to set any particular options? What if you want to print 4 pages to a sheet, or send 3 photos to print as 5x7s on a single sheet? This is great for basic printing though even if it cant do all that. Most of the time you want each page of your doc to print to one page of paper.

OP
Bremen

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I guess there's no way to set any particular options? What if you want to print 4 pages to a sheet, or send 3 photos to print as 5x7s on a single sheet? This is great for basic printing though even if it cant do all that. Most of the time you want each page of your doc to print to one page of paper.

Cannot do anything except print. Again, this is a "print from any device" with no drivers or software. That is it's power, and why it prints from the iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, any Android smartphone...etc.

I do want to be clear that this "ePrint" technology and feature set is just that, a feature. The printer has drivers for PC/Mac and has tons of options, just like other network printers... it is just that you also have the email option.

My wife got a kick out of it... a co-worker emailed her a recipe. she simply forwarded the email from her desk at work. When she got home the recipe was printed out and waiting for her. Not a have to have kind of thing, but cool to have as an option...

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
]

Cannot do anything except print. Again, this is a "print from any device" with no drivers or software. That is it's power, and why it prints from the iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, any Android smartphone...etc.

I do want to be clear that this "ePrint" technology and feature set is just that, a feature. The printer has drivers for PC/Mac and has tons of options, just like other network printers... it is just that you also have the email option.

My wife got a kick out of it... a co-worker emailed her a recipe. she simply forwarded the email from her desk at work. When she got home the recipe was printed out and waiting for her. Not a have to have kind of thing, but cool to have as an option...
That's cool. So you CAN print from the web...
Thay means that I'd be able on 3G too...

OP
Bremen

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
]

That's cool. So you CAN print from the web...
Thay means that I'd be able on 3G too...

Yes, I printed from Wal-mart (hey, had to play with it) with my iPhone, worked perfect....

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope other printer manufactures pick up on this technology. I dont use HP printers either due to ink longevity. Some of their ink cartridges cost more then their printers. I have Canon and Epson and sold on both.. I love HP's idea here but i dont plan to switch to get a printer function with my iPad..

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More on HP D110a ePrint

Yes, I printed from Wal-mart (hey, had to play with it) with my iPhone, worked perfect....

I saw you over on the HP forums Bremen. There are several things I like about this printer. In ink jets I hate the tank and tube plus print head as the clog and waste a ton of ink. This particular inkjet has the head in the cartridge.

That doesn't stop the reinkers as they have a clever endless ink supply you can add externally if you wanted to go that route for serious printing.

This printer also has a feature that prevents and empty cart from shutting it down like most of the other have in their printers to force you to go out and replace them as soon as one expires.

This printer has an ad hock feature where with a laptop you can hook directly to the printer wirelessly without a router or access point. My question to HP is does this feature work with the iPad too?

I was going to buy one last night but I have bronchitis and did not feel like going out.

I do not need the features of a high end inkjet as I depend on lasers.
This is just meant to be a portable printer and I noticed they include a bag for that purpose.

It seems that every one is selling it for $100 or less even though HP lists it as $130.

People should be aware it does not work with a VPN, it is either or.

This printer might be Wireless N only and incompatible with G or B, I am trying to find an accurate answer.

It is listed on the Apple web site for $130.

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ePrint brings wireless printing to the iPad/iPhone

ePrint brings wireless printing from any email-capable device to the masses.

By Eric Doyle, 30 Jul 2010 at 11:07

it_photo_96526_33.jpg

Rippling the glass-like waters of the printer pool, HP is starting to roll out printers that can print from any smartphone, netbook or notebook with access to email services.
The company’s Photosmart series of printers use ePrint, a technology HP first experimented with on the RIM Blackberry earlier this year. This was tied to the Blackberry server, but the latest iteration opens up the market to other players.
The move is a response to the massive growth in the smartphone market and the problem of supporting drivers for individual operating systems.
HP uses a cloud to allocate an email address to each ePrint enabled wireless printer. Simply by sending the print job as an attachment, it is processed through the ePrint cloud. The status of each job can then be monitored remotely to ensure there are no problems.
HP jumped the gun by releasing printers before the ePrint cloud went live, which irritated some early adopters.
The service was turned on in time for the unveiling of the latest model in Mumbai, India, yesterday where local fashion photographer Vikram Bawa took pictures which were then emailed to the Photosmart Plus eAll-In-One B110e printer. Additionally, friends of attendees were invited to email in other documents for printing.
The system has its limitations because it can only handle documents from Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel or plain text files and Adobe PDF formats.
For images, it supports bmp, gif, jpg, png and tif files. It does not support web page printing or encrypted and password-protected documents.
There is also a 5MB limit to the email, including attachments, but within this ePrint supports a maximum of 10 attachments per email.
The ePrint service is a free feature of the current range of Photosmart printers.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought one of these at Wal-mart for $89.00. I plan to use it on my iPad and other devices. Will post comments on it after I try it.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted a new thread on my new HP D110a printer, but the post seems to have screwed up somehow. I'll post what I posted there to this thread to see if it works.

-----------

I can now print directly from my iPad to my new HP D110a printer without using a computer or any cables. It's pretty cool! :)

The new HP110a wireless Internet printer doesn't require any drivers or any cables except power. The printer was assigned an email address at the factory and I merely have to email documents to it (of less than 5MB) and it will print them, as long as the printer has a wifi-connection.

I tried printing from two iPad apps that allow you to email your documents: Apple's Pages and an app called Notepad Pro that allows you to type text and draw images. In a matter of a few minutes, I had hard copies of my documents that were created on my iPad and never existed on a "real" computer. Sweet!

I did have to create a new gmail account to get it to work, though. While my YahooMail account would print if I sent messages directly from the email program on the iPad, Yahoo seems to intercept the messages from the apps and doesn't send them out. Very annoying. But gmail worked fine.

Also, if you just want to print text, or even just an email message, the printer prints a cover page for each job sent, which contains the content of the email message. No headers, no dates or times, or email paths, just the text of the message, as if the text were a document. So you can just send a text email to the printer and it will print that for you, even without adding an attachment.

Unfortunately, the range of supported document types is small, but includes the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, etc.), as well as PDF and simple text. I don't recall if there were others. But both of my iPad word processors can export to Word and PDF, so I'm good to go.

I'm rather pleased. I bought the printer today at Wal-Mart for $89.00. I'm not expecting to print my novel with it, so the possibly expensive print cartridges isn't really going to bother me, I don't think.

You are also supposed to be able to print to the printer over your local wifi connection from a computer, but I couldn't get that to work. I installed the driver on my computer (which is required for direct wifi printing, but not email printing) and the driver was fine, but when it was looking for the printer IP address, it couldn't find it. I know it was the right address, because the printer tells you the address in the little display on the front. You're supposed to just type that into your computer and it works. Well, it doesn't. Oh well, that's not why I bought the printer--and I can still email documents from my desktop computer anyway.

Oh, you can also set up a list of approved email addresses from which your printer can accept documents. Or you can leave it open so anybody can send them.

Emailing photos to the printer also works very well. You just pug 4x6-inch photo paper in it and email the photos and they just print. Vefy cool.

Curiously, the printer comes inside a specially-made tote bag for portability, along with a little shaving-kit-sized bag for the power supply (which is lightweight). This thing was designed for portability! Very nice! I took some photos that I'll attach, if I can figure out how.

So, I think it's very cool and certainly an excellent tool to add to my iPad.

Dar

Most reactions

Latest posts