What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HP C310a printer and iPad2 printing

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got an HP Photosmart C310a printer that has AirPrint capability. I can print most items from the iPad2 to it.

Today I took a screenshot on the iPad2 and wanted to print it. So I went to Photos, Camera Roll, selected the screenshot and then Print. Printer was listed, and I selected Print. I get an error message that the printer is out of paper?

Now I've printed on the 8x11 paper before, e-mails, web pages, etc. I do NOT have any photo paper loaded, none in the 4x6 tray, just plain 8x11 paper in the bottom tray.

On my PC, photos WILL print to the 8x11 tray and what ever it contains.

Is there anyway on the iPad to tell it where to print too or is Photos app always going to try and print on the 4x6 tray?

Irv S.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Hp 110 will print a photo in the upper corner of a standard page. I get an out of paper message occasionally. I just pull the stack out, and cram it back in. Seems to work for me.

I haven't played with the photo features that much though. Sorry if this is a silly response.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
My Hp 110 will print a photo in the upper corner of a standard page. I get an out of paper message occasionally. I just pull the stack out, and cram it back in. Seems to work for me.

I haven't played with the photo features that much though. Sorry if this is a silly response.

First thing I tried was checking and reinserting the paper. Didn't help?

I have not tried putting paper in 4x6 tray though?

Was looking for a printer setup but can not find it?

Irv

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your printer is "fancier" than mine, so it may well want paper in the smaller tray. Seems odd that it would though. You could cut down some normal paper to try and trick it if you don't have photo paper.

I really doubt it's an iPad set up problem. The printer may have something on it's set up screen, if you scroll through all the options, you may see something.

I bet you could Google around for "Hp c310 (whatever your exact model is) photo printing error", or something like that. I know the booklet that came with mine was a little vague at best.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
Your printer is "fancier" than mine, so it may well want paper in the smaller tray. Seems odd that it would though. You could cut down some normal paper to try and trick it if you don't have photo paper.

I really doubt it's an iPad set up problem. The printer may have something on it's set up screen, if you scroll through all the options, you may see something.

I bet you could Google around for "Hp c310 (whatever your exact model is) photo printing error", or something like that. I know the booklet that came with mine was a little vague at best.

Well, you were right on the printer having tray settings. It has 3 choices, ask me ( which it was on), top tray (4x6 photo tray), and main. Set it to main, no change?

I did notice that the iPad reported printer out of ink! Wasn't sure it said that before so I didn't mention that, but I am now. Printer says out of paper.

It is possible I guess the printer can sense the paper and know I don't have photo paper in?

Irv S.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just transferred one of the files I tried to print from the Camera Roll to my PC. PC had no problem printing it on plain paper from the main tray.

Looks like the iPad might have a problem, based on the fact the PC can print without a warning coming back to the PC and no error messages on the printer?

I happened to have a 4x6 Index card handy and I put it into the top 4x6 tray and tried again. It printed. However, the iPad still displayed an error? See the attachment.

Irv S.

Attachments

• Image_110531204300.jpg
    Image_110531204300.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,255

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like your printer's acting kinda screwy. Maybe power it down and restart, now that you changed the tray setting.

I just checked mine again, and it printed a picture from the photo app on normal paper, up in on corner of the sheet.

I don't see anywhere that it can tell what KIND of paper is in there.

Hopefully someone who knows more then I do will come along soon.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May be it's the Camera roll app. I just have iPad 1 with native Photo app.
I have seen some people talking about different Formats for cameras/pictures...all beyond me at this time.
Sorry, I'm out of ideas right now.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave up and called HP...

I guess they were aware of problems with AirPrint and the Photo app?

They had me go to App store and d/l HP iPrint app... FIXED.. Can change paper sizes and type.

Irv S.

yan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Staff at Apple store tried to get me HPePrint, but there is a glitch.
Irv Sp wrote:
"They had me go to App store and d/l HP iPrint app... FIXED"
I wonder if it is iPrint not ePrint?

yan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave up and bought an HP 1525nm. Prints just fine. Thanks to all. Yan

Most reactions

Latest posts