What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How will I notice improved screen resolution on new iPad?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am trying to justify upgrading to new iPad but so far haven't been able to. The only thing that may persuade me is e the new retina screen. So,how will I notice a difference when watching video? I believe HD movies joy display at 1080, so how will the 2048 * 1536 take advantage when the source material itself is currently only produced at 1920 * 1080 at its best? I am not bothered about extra resolution for browsing. iPad2 is more than clear and good enough for browsing for me.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The images should be crisper, less grainy, in layman's terms.

If I watch the same movie on iPad 2 compared with iPhone 4S (which has retina screen), for instance, I can see the diff. But that's if I focus on the diff. For me, screen quality isn't a prob on iPad 1 or 2.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't try to find reasons for buying a new iPad. If you want one, fine. You do not have to justify buying or not buying. Take some time. Wait until they come out in the stores and check them out. You have a good device and your money can wait. I have two years owning my original iPad. I had not planned on buying a new one until this summer, but a relative needs an iPad to kill time while undergoing dialysis. So I moved my purchase up a bit.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For people who simply must have the latest and the greatest, no justification is ever needed. For the rest, it is a matter of prioritizing. A few of my friends (age 55+) who swore they would never need a hand-held device became instant impulse buyers once they walked into an Apple store.

The retina display for me is a no-brainer. But I bet the majority of the people in the world wouldn't care less. (The wife included.)

inTgr8r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't try to find reasons for buying a new iPad. .......
^+1
JMO, but if you have to ask, then stick with what you have.

For me, I've been planning to buy an iPad for 3 months now & decided to see what the new price on the 2 would be vs the specs on ver3.
In the end I pre-ordered the ver3. The retina is easily worth $100 to me.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's like the argument of 720p versus 1080p - with continuous tones you won't really notice the difference but on high-contrast edges you will.

For example, with most movies I find the difference between 720p and 1080p quite subtle, but when I watched WALL-E on a 720p TV after seeing it on my 1080p I though it was ghastly as there are so many high-contrast edges in animated stuff which really shows up the decreased resolution.

I think the iPad display will show much the same effect but how much of an issue it is is down to the individual. From what you've said I don't think you'd see much benefit from it really so maybe just save your cash? :)

geobernd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like Hi-Rez displays... (My main screen on my computer has 2560x1600 resolution) - and while I like my iPad1 I am really looking forward to razor sharp text... Often I find myself increasing the font on the iPad1 not because I can't see it but because the characters look a little fuzzy..... Can't wait for the 16th when my new shiny toy will be here...

lique831

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure why you are trying so hard to justify spending money you don't need to? If it's this hard you should probably save your hard-earned cash and continue to be happy with the iPad 2 and wait it out until Apple offers something you don't need to justify to buy. The iPad 2 is still an excellent device.

Most reactions

Latest posts